Shannon's easy caprese appetizer recipe calls for marinating mozzarella cubes with basil leaves, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, salt and sugar. Then the cubes are layered between sliced strawberries, secured with a toothpick and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. These fresh and flavorful Strawberry Caprese Skewers are like summer on a stick—a happy blend of tangy, sweet and salty.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
- In a small bowl, combine the basil leaves, lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, salt and sugar.
- Add the cubed mozzarella and gently toss to be sure all of the cheese is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator, and marinate for 15 minutes.
- While the cheese is marinating, cut the strawberries, horizontally, into ¼- to ½-inch slices.
- Remove the marinated cheese from the refrigerator and place 1 dozen pieces of cheese on a serving plate. Then place one strawberry slice on top of each cheese base, being sure to pick up bits of basil and lemon zest with each one. Repeat with a second slice of cheese and strawberry.
- Gently place a toothpick through each stack.
- Crack generous amounts of black pepper over the entire plate.
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.