The folksy name of this blueberry dessert may be outdated, but its combination of buttermilk cake batter, fresh blueberries and an irresistible streusel topping will still make the boys (and girls) come runnin’. Our easy Blueberry Boy Bait recipe makes a sweet treat perfect for serving at any summer gathering.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and sugar, saving 1 tablespoon of flour for later. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or a fork until pea-size. Set aside ¾ cup of the mixture for the topping.
- Stir baking powder and salt into the remaining mixture and then mix in buttermilk, egg yolks and vanilla. Using an electric mixer, mix on low for 3 minutes until batter is light and creamy.
- Measure 1 cup of blueberries into a bowl and toss with the reserved tablespoon of flour. Add the coated berries to the batter and fold in gently.
- In a glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites just until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining blueberries. Next, sprinkle top with the reserved flour-sugar-butter mixture. Finally, sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until cake springs back when touched in the center.