Ready to wow your guests this holiday? Try Buche de Noel for a memorable treat for eyes and stomach alike. Despite the impressive presentation of this yule-log-shaped cake, this French-inspired recipe isn't hard to make. All you need are chocolate cake mix, cocoa powder and prepared frosting to roll out a fantastic Christmas yule log cake.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a jellyroll pan and line it with baking parchment.
- Mix cake ingredients as directed. Pour batter into the jellyroll pan, and then bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Sprinkle a clean dish towel with cocoa powder. Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife, if necessary. Place the towel over the cake and turn pan over, transferring the cake onto the towel.
- Roll the cake and the towel as one, beginning from the narrow end. Let the cake cool 60 minutes inside the towel wrap, which will create the rolled shape.
- Unroll the cooled cake and remove the towel. Spread with white frosting filling or whipped cream. Roll cake again and place on a serving platter.
- Cut a portion of the cake from one end and place along the side of the cake to form a branch (optional). Frost sides of cake with chocolate frosting, creating a bark-like texture in the frosting using the tines of a fork.
- Store loosely covered in the refrigerator. Remove cake from refrigerator about 15 minutes prior to serving, to return it to room temperature.