Looking for a fun, creative and creepy treat for your loved ones this Halloween? Look no further. Our Bug Bites recipe features peanut butter, chocolate, crispy rice cereal and pretzels in a delicious bite-size package. Simple and fun to make, they require just a little assembly while bringing plenty of creepy-crawly fun to your Halloween celebrations.
Inspired? Create and share with #MyHallmark.
- In a large bowl, beat peanut butter, butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until thoroughly combined. Add cereal and mix well.
- Scoop rounded teaspoon-sized portions from the mixture and shape into balls with clean hands. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Attach peanut butter balls to skewers before dipping in chocolate. Set up an area where peanut butter balls can remain upright on the skewers while cooling/drying. Line area with waxed paper to catch drips.
- Melt chocolate chips and shortening in small saucepan, over low heat, stirring constantly. Dip peanut butter balls in chocolate. Add the candy eyes while the chocolate is still warm.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Then carefully insert the pretzel legs into the peanut butter balls. Refrigerate for another 15 minutes. Remove skewers, and then serve.