Dive into gooey goodness with this easy Chocolate Mousse Cake made for two. Watch our video below to learn how to create a luxurious crackly topped, soft-centered mousse. For our Chocolate Mousse Cake recipe, you don't need any fancy ingredients, just bittersweet chocolate, butter, water, sugar, eggs and flour.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
60-second sweets video: How to make chocolate mousse cake
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter jars or dishes and set aside.
- Warm 2 to 4 cups water and keep handy for the bain-marie.
- In a glass bowl or top of a double boiler set over simmering water, melt chocolate and 1 stick of butter with 2 tablespoons of water. Remove melted chocolate from heat and let cool briefly.
- With an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat sugar, eggs and flour until light and pale in color. Add melted chocolate and blend well. Mixture will be runny.
- Pour batter into jars and place jars in a glass baking dish or metal roaster. Place in oven, and carefully fill dish with water to a depth of 1 inch.
- Check cakes after 30 minutes. If they are browning quickly, tent with aluminum foil and bake 10 minutes more for a total of 40 minutes. The tops will be crunchy, but the cakes will be nice and moist.
- Remove pan from oven and place jars on rack to cool. Let cakes cool slightly before serving or serve at room temperature. If you like, sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.