Matzo brei is a traditional Jewish dish often served during Passover. Our savory matzo brei recipe features matzo, eggs, onion, red pepper, cheddar cheese and fresh dill scrambled in a non-stick skillet and then broiled to crispy, cheesy perfection. Serve this popular dish in generous wedges for a tasty Passover breakfast or brunch option your guests will love.
Inspired? Create and share with #MyHallmark.
- In large, nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook until onion is tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Place matzo in colander and rinse with warm water until evenly moistened. Drain.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and water. Add drained matzo, ½ cup cheese, onion mixture and dill. Stir to combine.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat. Add egg mixture and press to smooth. Cover and cook until bottom and sides are set, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese and broil 3 minutes or until top is lightly crisped and cheese has melted.
- Slide onto plate and cut into 6 wedges.