Anniversary Wishes: What to Write in an Anniversary Card
Here’s to lasting love! From still-newlyweds toasting with wine glasses they opened on their wedding day a year ago to busy parents scrambling to find an anniversary babysitter to a gray-haired couple holding hands over anniversary pancakes and coffee…that kind of enduring commitment is always something to admire and celebrate.
When you send an anniversary card, the words you write can add so much to the joy of the occasion. You can make a toast, offer encouragement, share a memory or simply call out how special it is to have, hold and stick by each other through time.
And whether it’s a card for your own anniversary or that of family members or friends, Hallmark’s writers have message ideas for you. Our guide offers tips for everything from simple anniversary wishes to warm tributes. Whatever you’d like to say, we hope you’ll find just the inspiration you need to get your pen rolling!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark.
What to Write in an Anniversary Card
It’s not the number of words that counts, but the caring behind them. If the card has already said it all or you’re just not in a gushy mood, it’s fine to keep your personal message short and sweet.
- “Wishing a perfect pair a perfectly happy day.”
- “Here’s to another year of being great together!”
- “Anniversary cheers!”
- “Happy [21st] anniversary, you old lovebirds!”
- “Hope you find time to look back on all your sweet memories together.”
- “Always knew you two had something special.”
- “Still vibin’ and still thrivin’ right on up to your forever. Happy Anniversary, you two!”
- “Hope the next  years are even happier than your [first decade] together!”
- “Can’t believe it’s been [three] years already. Here’s to many more!”
- “Love and much happiness to one of our all-time favorite couples!”
- “Warmest wishes to the wonderful two of you on your [sixth] anniversary.”
- “Wishing you a happy ‘you two’ day!”
- “Another year, another great reason to celebrate!”
- “Congratulations all over again!”
- “Siempre supe que ustedes dos tenían algo especial. ¡Feliz Aniversario!”
Writing tip: If the card you’ve chosen already has “Happy Anniversary” printed on it, you can add an ellipsis […] and a little something after it: “…and many more!”, “…with love to you both,” etc.
For Spouse or Partner
When it’s your own anniversary, there can be a lot of pressure to get things exactly right. But what matters most is being authentic and saying how you feel. Your message is a great place to thank your spouse or partner, to say I love you, to reaffirm your commitment and to express confidence in your future together.
- “Happy [11th], [Babe]. I love you more every year!”
- “[Fourteen] years of marriage and mayhem! You’ve made me so happy through every single one.”
- “Happy Anniversary, with all my love, to the strongest, kindest, funniest, best guy I know.”
- “[Eight] years ago today, you made me the happiest man on earth. And I still feel like I’m the luckiest.”
- “Every day I’m still discovering new things about you to love.”
- “It’s been a tough year, but our love is tougher. Thanks for staying so strong through it all. Here’s to us…and to a brighter year ahead.”
- “I’m so lucky to have you and your love. Thanks for putting up with me for another year!”
- “So grateful that God gave me you to love.”
- “It’s our [fourth] wedding anniversary and our first as parents. I’m so grateful to be sharing this adventure with someone so wonderful, and I look forward to all the love, laughter and wonder ahead for us.”
- “I still remember the way my heart leaped when you got down on your knee and asked me to be your wife. Of course I said yes, and I’d say it all over again. Yes to you. Yes to this life we’ve made. A thousand times YES to our love!”
- “Yours is still my favorite face.”
- “Our anniversary marks 365 more days you’ve made me laugh, appreciate you, learn, grow and be oh so glad we’re together!”
- “I never dreamed love could be this good.”
- “Still in this together. Love that.”
- “You won my heart then, and Baby, you still own it.”
- “Love you even though I sometimes have a funny way of showing it.”
- “Happy Anniversary to My Better-in-Every-Way Half. Seriously, you’re amazing.”
- “Marrying you was the smartest thing I ever did.”
- “Happy first-date anniversary to us! You bowled me over then and you still do!”
- “We’re out here making our dreams together just like we promised. Love being beside you, Bae.”
- “Celebrating both when you first promised forever and when you got to make it official.”
- “Feliz Aniversario, Mi Amor. Soy tan feliz de compartir la vida contigo. Te Amo hoy, mañana y siempre.”
Writing tip: When it comes to the one you love, relax and write from the heart. If you like to joke around together, use humor. If you have pet names for each other, use those, too.
Love and appreciation are big themes for anniversary cards to family members. You might thank parents or other older relatives for the example they’ve set with their marriage. And an anniversary card is a great place to remind siblings, cousins and their significant others how good it is to call them family.
- “Mom and Dad, the home you’ve made and your loving commitment to each other have blessed our family in more ways than we can count.”
- “So blessed to have grandparents like you. Thanks for showing us, year after year, what a marriage centered on faith looks like.”
- “Thanks for being wonderful parents and for your lasting commitment to each other. In all my years, I’ve never once wondered whether you loved each other, or me. It was always so clear.”
- “[Scott], you’re one lucky guy. [Marcie], thanks for making my big brother so happy. Love to you both on your anniversary!”
- “Happy [ninth] anniversary to my favorite cousin and cousin-in-law!”
- “It’s so good to call you family, to share good times with you both and to see how happy you make each other.”
- “Happy Anniversary, Uncle Mattias and Uncle Tomas. Each of you is so special in your own way, and together you’re just the best!”
- “Family is so much more fun with both of you in it! Happy [fourth] anniversary! Love you guys!”
- “You don’t get this far without a whole lotta love, and that’s what you’ve given—to each other and to the family around you. Hope you know how much we love you, too.”
- “I couldn’t ask for a better sister and brother-in-law (or for cuter nieces!).”
- “Just thinking how good it is to have a couple like you in our family. God bless you both on your anniversary.”
- “Celebrating this special day in your lives and the happiness you have together.”
- “Papá y Mamá, ustedes son el corazón de nuestra famillia, y nos llena de mucha alegría celebrar el amor tan especial que se tienen y que es digno de admirar. Felicidades por cumplir otro año juntos.”
Writing tip: Modern family relationships can be complex, and it’s best to go with the names and family titles that feel right for yours. For example, if you call your dad and his wife (who is not your mom) “Dad and Susan,” then it’s fine to write “Dear Dad and Susan…” in your anniversary wishes to them.
Whether you’re friends with one half or both halves of the couple, you can make your anniversary wishes warm and meaningful by showing them you know them. Share the kind of warm compliment, oddball humor or specific memory that only a friend could.
- “Sending love and good wishes to some of our very favorite people.”
- “Warm anniversary wishes to two dear friends who mean so much.”
- “The two of you have your own reasons to celebrate on your anniversary, and as your friend, I have so many reasons to celebrate you both.”
- “It’s so cool that two of my favorite people are married to each other. Here’s to [two] great years…and many more!”
- “This is what happens when marathon runners get married. You’ve built a love made to go the distance!”
- “You two are so great to know and be around. Can you adopt me?”
- “Thinking of you and all the good times we’ve shared. So glad you’re in our lives.”
- “Wow! I can’t believe it’s been [three] whole years since I saw you take the floor for your first dance together as man and wife. Not even your adorable dancing-machine flower girl could steal the spotlight from the two of you.”
- “There are lots of quotes about lasting love but few couples who seem to do it as well as you.”
- “Happy anniversary to the greatest people…with the garden we’re most jealous of!”
- “So…going out to a great restaurant? Huh? Can I come?”
- “No marriage is perfect, but if ever a couple came close, it’s you two.”
- “Your faith in the Father and faith in each other is a beautiful thing to see.”
- “Feliz Aniversario a una pareja maravillosa. Les deseo más momentos inolvidables y que su amor siga iluminando sus vidas.”
Writing tip: If you were friends way back when and there at the wedding, consider sharing a memory of the couple’s big day. You might even remember some details they don’t.
Milestone anniversaries are kind of a big deal, and you might consider making your personal message a little bigger than usual, too. You might even write a mini-tribute to the milestone couple.
- “Happy [40th] anniversary to one of the greatest couples we know! It’s a joy to have you in our lives and to celebrate with you today!”
- “You two are truly an inspiration.”
- “A big anniversary to celebrate a big, big love.”
- “Wow. Look what love can do! Congratulations.”
- “Remember, the first  years are the hardest.”
- “A lasting love like yours is the world’s most beautiful thing.”
- “Enjoy all your new [silver] stuff and have a wonderful [25th] anniversary.”
- “Love, commitment and a whole lot of fun. Happy [50th]!”
- “[Twenty] isn’t just a number. It’s good times and tough stuff and forever memories. It’s you and you. It’s love.”
- “You have so much to show for your  years together…a beautiful family, a thriving business, all you’ve learned together…and a lasting legacy of great memories.”
- “For better, for worse, for the long haul—congrats, you two!”
- “[Forty-five] years of marriage! It couldn’t have been easy every day, but you two make it look that way.”
- “[Fifty]—now there’s a number you can be proud of.”
- “Nobody does it better than you two. Happy [Silver] Anniversary.”
- “Love that grows through time is such an inspiring thing. Congratulations on your  years together.”
- “Sharing in your happiness as you celebrate  years of marriage. Today is your day to be in the spotlight…to celebrate all you’ve accomplished together…and to bask in all the admiration.”
- “ Years: Now THIS is how you do love. Y’all are amazing.”
- “Having each other’s backs and taking care of one another’s souls for  years, that’s a beautiful faith walk.”
- If you share a sense of humor with the couple, make up your own milestone. “This is the [whiskey] anniversary, right?”
- “25 años de matrimonio, respeto y amistad. Ustedes sí que son un ejemplo de cómo mantener viva una promesa de amor. ¡Felices Bodas de Plata!”
Writing tip: First, fifth, 10th, 20th, 25th (silver), 30th, 40th (ruby), 45th, 50th (gold), 55th, and 60th (diamond) anniversaries are traditionally considered milestones. Cards specific to these anniversaries will feature the year number prominently in their design, but you can make any card a milestone card (or any anniversary a milestone anniversary) by writing that impressive new number somewhere in your personal message.
An anniversary is a happy occasion that sometimes falls during a tough time, due to serious illness, job loss, marital problems or other challenging circumstances. Whatever the situation, it’s still appropriate to acknowledge the anniversary and send good vibes the couple’s way.
- “The two of you have seen challenges this year, and you’ve met each one together. Celebrating that today!”
- “Time out from real life to celebrate you and your love.”
- “You two mean so much to us. Thinking of you with love.”
- “Whatever life brings, love can handle it. Have a wonderful anniversary.”
- “With all that’s going on, here’s hoping you find some time for each other on your anniversary.”
- “You two clearly took that ‘for better or worse’ thing to heart. Wishing you lots of ‘better’ in the year ahead.”
- “Wishing you a moment or two to celebrate you.”
- “I still have a good feeling about you two.”
- “Happy Anniversary to a couple who’s wished nothing but the best, always.”
- “When you’ve got a strong love like yours, you can make it through anything. So many who admire you are honoring you today.”
- “Life can come at you strong. But your love is even stronger. Happy Anniversary.”
- “Real life might challenge real love. But it can’t beat it. Your love has gotten you through so much together. Wishing you a happy anniversary.”
- “Un matrimonio, como todos, puede pasar por momentos difíciles, y ustedes han tenido que enfrentar y superar retos, y eso solo demuestra lo fuerte que es su amor. Que Dios los siga bendiciendo con muchos años más de amor.”
Writing tip: Tough year or terrific year, steer clear of comments that get too much inside another couple’s marriage relationship. Heartfelt wishes, sincere compliments and hopeful, optimistic messages are always a good way to go, though.
A warm closing before your signature is a perfect way to wrap up any anniversary message. Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
- Warmest congratulations,
- With love to you both,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- Here’s to you two!
- Best wishes on your anniversary and always,
- All life’s best to you,
- Happy Anniversary!
- Happy [20th]!
- Still so happy for you,
- Wishing you continued happiness,
- Warmest wishes,
- God bless you both,
- Peace, love, out,
- Keep it up, kids.
- Nobody quite like you two,
- Here’s to many more!
- To all the life and love ahead,
- Muchas Felicidades
- Que Dios los Bendiga
Shop Anniversary CardsSee all
You may also likeSee more
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Father's Day The history of Father's Day and how Hallmark cards for dads have evolved
We all know Father’s Day is the holiday that falls about a month after Mother’s Day. Mostly because that’s when famil...
Father's Day Free printable Father's Day coloring pages for Dad's #1 fans
Dads take so much pride in their kids’ talents. And if you know a dad who’s been claiming his son or daughter was the...
Mother's Day Free, printable Mother's Day coloring pages to make Mom's heart melt
Moms treasure their kids’ art like no one else. So what better way to brighten up Mom’s special day than by gifting h...
Mother's Day The history of Mother’s Day: Fraught beginnings and fun facts
Ah, Mother’s Day. The one day a year we spoil the women who spoil us the other 364. I think we all can agree Mother’s...
Mother's Day Mother's Day without Mom: Remembering lost loved ones with new traditions
This Mother’s Day will be my third without my mom. She died just before Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2020, which mad...
Spring History of Administrative Professionals Day
Three people led the effort to create Administrative Professionals Day/Week: Mary Barrett, a past president of the...
Easter Easter Eggs-travaganza: Our favorite Easter egg ideas
When it comes to Easter, we think both adults AND kids deserve to have some fun and make fabulous, way-too-pretty-to-...
St. Patrick's Day Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages for Your Little Leprechauns
If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then you know it’s all about sharing love, luck and fun. And what could be more f...
Easter Free printable Easter coloring pages to brighten up your celebration
One of the best things about Easter—in addition to faith, family and food—is all the colors. So we figured we’d throw...
Spring History of Teacher Appreciation Week
People in the United States started celebrating National Teacher Day in 1953 when Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded Cong...
Spring History of Nurses Day
In 1953, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare proposed that President Dwight D. E...
Congratulations Rewards for Kids: 10 Parents Share Their Tips for Celebrating Achievements
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Congratulations How to Give a Toast from the Heart
At some point in your life, you’ll need to give a toast. You might get advance notice as a Maid of Honor or host o...
Congratulations How to Say Congratulations (Even When You'd Really Rather Not)
Congratulating others is easy and fun, right? Like when your friend worked really hard and got that awesome job ma...
New Year's Guilt-Free New Year's Resolutions
“New Year’s resolutions.” To some, those words are filled with pure possibility...an invitation to start anew, comple...
New Year's New Year's Resolution Ideas for Groups
New Year’s resolutions are pretty lonely deals. It’s just you and that thing you have to live up to. Ack! No wonde...
Christmas A Christmas tribute: meaningful ways to weave memories of lost loved ones into new holiday traditions
For many of us, Christmas is the time of year when we miss our lost loved ones the most. Finding ways to memoriali...