Tissue Paper Decoupage Pumpkins, For Gourdness Sake
Want a quick, easy, minimal-supply way to decorate some adorable, on-trend pumpkins this fall? You know we’ve got you. Grab some tissue paper and glue and get to sticking. Here’s how to make tissue paper decoupage pumpkins.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
Here’s how to make tissue paper decoupage pumpkins to take your fall decor in a fun new direction…
What you’ll need:
• Tissue paper in your favorite Halloween colors (you can grab individual colors or multicolor packs—and don’t be afraid to use patterns!)
• Real or artificial white pumpkins
• Mod Podge (we used the matte finish) or white glue mixed with an equal amount of water
• Paintbrush or foam brush
Step 1: Cut out your shapes
Start by cutting different shapes and sizes from your tissue paper. You can make:
• Basic shapes: circles, squares, triangles, rectangles, zigzags, strips
• Shapes from the sky: rainbow arcs, clouds, stars and starbursts, lightning bolts, moons, comets
• Natural shapes: leaves, grasses, fruits, flowers, branches, berries, puddles, stones
• Art-inspired shapes: Do an image search for “shapes” plus an Henri Matisse or Memphis design.
Because tissue paper tears easily, cut one or just a few shapes at a time. If you want multiples, don’t stack more than five sheets.
Step 2: Decoupage tissue paper onto your pumpkin
For each shape you want to add, follow these three super-simple steps:
• Paint a little Mod Podge onto your pumpkin in the spot you want the shape. Be sure to make the spot of Mod Podge bigger than the tissue paper.
• Starting on one corner or edge of the shape, gently press the tissue paper onto the Mod Podge, smoothing as you go.
• Just as gently, brush another layer of Mod Podge over the entire shape, using the brush or your fingers to push out bubbles in the paper.
• Keep adding shapes to your tissue paper pumpkin.
Some pro tips from Hallmark’s cut-paper collage expert, Lynn Giunta:
• Don’t throw away your scraps—the space around the shape you cut might be more interesting than the shape itself.
• Speaking of which—stack two or three contrasting or complementary colors and cut a shape. Then use that shape and the outline in two different colors.
• Save your tissue scraps for another cut-paper collage project.
Step 3: Give the pumpkin one more coat
After all the shapes are in place, go over the whole tissue paper decoupage pumpkin with one more coat of Mod Podge. Let it dry and your pumpkin is ready!
Some fun things to try:
• Layer different colors over each other to make new or darker colors.
• Use patterned tissue paper for more contrast.
• Cover a whole pumpkin in abstract shapes or create a simple image on the front.
• Use the same batch of colors to create a multiple pumpkin display.
Pro tip: Mod Podge makes a special formula for outdoor use—handy if your pumpkin will be sitting unprotected on a stoop.
Want to level up your Halloween display? Coordinate your colors and try easy painted pumpkins. And use your extra tissue paper to make these adorable treat bags.
Shop Tissue Paper
You may also likeSee more
Recipes Say hello to summer with this pretty rosemary paloma cocktail
If summer had a single defining flavor, it would have to be citrus. From lemonade to key lime pie, that mouth-waterin...
Gifting All aboard for celebrating Disney’s 100th anniversary!
Keepsake Artist Gregor Benedetti reveals the Disney 100th Anniversary Special Edition Figurine, complete with lights ...
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday Summer birthday party ideas for everyone
Summer is a great time for outdoor get-togethers. You’re getting fresh air, seeing friends and family, and getting so...
Summer What is Disability Pride Month?: Understanding its importance and finding ways to celebrate
The Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted July 26, 1990 and was the first law in U.S. history to protect people...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 2: Fueling Fandom
This month in our historical 50th Anniversary series, we take a look back at our earliest fan favorites. Keepsake Orn...
Calendar Flip A (Very) Warm Hello! August 2023 Holidays and Observances
Is it hot enough for you? Well, we’re here to add some extra sizzle. It’s time to flip the calendar page, check ou...
Calendar Flip Welcome Autumn! September 2023 Holidays and Observances
Fall brings cooler nights, cute sweaters, homecoming games and tailgate parties. It’s time to flip the calendar page,...
Calendar Flip Let’s celebrate, y’all! July 2023 Holidays and Celebrations
Get ready for friends, family and fireworks—and break out the red, white and blue for Independence Day. It’s time ...
Card Ideas Card messages for kids: What to write in a kid’s holiday card and more
My 3-year-old was having a hard time at preschool drop-off. Dragging his feet. Asking to stay home. This went on a fe...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 1: Start Dreaming!
2023 marks 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments. We are so excited to celebrate ALL year with ALL of you! Each month, you’l...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Gifting 25+ “just because” gift ideas to show you care
I love giving gifts, and it’s easy to do it on birthdays and holidays. But when I really want to flex my gift-giving ...
Gift Wrapping How to use fabric wrap: A step-by-step guide for our reusable wrap
Don't you just love reusing gift bags? Well, now Hallmark has reusable gift wrap, too! Using it to wrap your gifts is...
Gift Wrapping 3 creative ways to reuse gift wrap scraps
Picture this: You’ve just finished wrapping a gift, you’re admiring your hard (but fabulous) work, and suddenly reali...
Arts, Crafts & DIY 8 tips on how to take great photos with your iPhone
Photos have been a huge part of capturing memories ever since cameras were invented. And these days, with advanced ca...
Recipes Cool drink recipes for your summer Golden Girls watch parties
We don’t know about you, but we love a good Golden Girls marathon. Maybe it’s the furniture covered in palm fronds. O...
Gifting Gift ideas to celebrate parents
How do you say “I love you” to parents that mean so much—the ones who’ve handled plenty of diaper changes (the really...
Gifting 10 creative ways to give cash
Whether it’s for a birthday, graduation, Christmas or just because you love them and think they deserve a special tre...