How to write wedding vows that wow
Wedding vows can be particularly meaningful when you write them yourself, but sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. But not if you start here! Our wedding vow writing tips, template and examples will help you organize your thoughts and express what’s really in your heart.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
Part 1: The Declaration of Love
Make a simple statement about who s/he is to you. For example:
- “Aisha, you are the most amazing woman I’ve ever met.”
- “Matt, you are the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.”
- “Sam, you are my very best friend.”
Say a few things about why s/he’s so wonderful. Things like:
- “You are kind and caring, and one smile from you brightens my whole day.”
- “You are dependable, yet full of surprises, and you are beautiful inside and out.”
- “You make me laugh, you make me think, you make me pancakes, and you make me happy.”
Now say you love him/her.
- “I am completely and totally in love with you.”
- “You stole my heart, and I want you to keep it forever.”
- “I love you so much, and I can’t believe how lucky I am to be standing here with you today.”
Nice work! On to the next part!
Part 2: The Promises
Make promises about what you will do for your partner. Think about the ways love shows itself, day in and day out…through support, trust, words, actions, gifts, time and attention. If you are religious, you’ll probably also want to include language about your faith. Here are some examples:
- “In front of God and our friends and family, I promise to stand by you and to stand up for you, to laugh with you and never laugh at you, and to do everything I can to make you happy.”
- “I pledge to accept you as you are, to respect you as an equal and to encourage your dreams and passions.”
- “I promise to be loving, patient and faithful. I will be the very best husband I can be to you and the very best father I can be to Jacob and Taylor.”
Now think about some of the things you will do with your partner.
- “With you, I’ll create a peaceful, happy home and a loving family.”
- “I will grow old with you—and never stop growing with you.”
- “I’ll be your partner on all of life’s adventures.”
Promise to be there in bad times as well as good…
- “When you’re sad, I’ll comfort you, and when you’re happy, I’ll share your joy…”
- “Through hard times and good times, through sickness and health, I’ll always be at your side…”
- “I will love you through sunshine and storms…”
For a very, very long time.
- “…for all the days of my life.”
- “…as long as we both shall live.”
- “…for all eternity.”
After you have a rough draft of your vows following this template, you may decide to combine, add or subtract some things. The important thing is to have wedding vows that are meaningful to you both and that will suit your relationship and the future you’ll build together.
Shop WeddingSee all
You may also likeSee more
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Father's Day The history of Father's Day and how Hallmark cards for dads have evolved
We all know Father’s Day is the holiday that falls about a month after Mother’s Day. Mostly because that’s when famil...
Father's Day Free printable Father's Day coloring pages for Dad's #1 fans
Dads take so much pride in their kids’ talents. And if you know a dad who’s been claiming his son or daughter was the...
Mother's Day Free, printable Mother's Day coloring pages to make Mom's heart melt
Moms treasure their kids’ art like no one else. So what better way to brighten up Mom’s special day than by gifting h...
Mother's Day The history of Mother’s Day: Fraught beginnings and fun facts
Ah, Mother’s Day. The one day a year we spoil the women who spoil us the other 364. I think we all can agree Mother’s...
Mother's Day Mother's Day without Mom: Remembering lost loved ones with new traditions
This Mother’s Day will be my third without my mom. She died just before Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2020, which mad...
Spring History of Administrative Professionals Day
Three people led the effort to create Administrative Professionals Day/Week: Mary Barrett, a past president of the...
Easter Easter Eggs-travaganza: Our favorite Easter egg ideas
When it comes to Easter, we think both adults AND kids deserve to have some fun and make fabulous, way-too-pretty-to-...
St. Patrick's Day Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages for Your Little Leprechauns
If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then you know it’s all about sharing love, luck and fun. And what could be more f...
Easter Free printable Easter coloring pages to brighten up your celebration
One of the best things about Easter—in addition to faith, family and food—is all the colors. So we figured we’d throw...
Spring History of Teacher Appreciation Week
People in the United States started celebrating National Teacher Day in 1953 when Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded Cong...
Spring History of Nurses Day
In 1953, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare proposed that President Dwight D. E...
Congratulations Rewards for Kids: 10 Parents Share Their Tips for Celebrating Achievements
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Congratulations How to Give a Toast from the Heart
At some point in your life, you’ll need to give a toast. You might get advance notice as a Maid of Honor or host o...
Congratulations How to Say Congratulations (Even When You'd Really Rather Not)
Congratulating others is easy and fun, right? Like when your friend worked really hard and got that awesome job ma...
New Year's Guilt-Free New Year's Resolutions
“New Year’s resolutions.” To some, those words are filled with pure possibility...an invitation to start anew, comple...
New Year's New Year's Resolution Ideas for Groups
New Year’s resolutions are pretty lonely deals. It’s just you and that thing you have to live up to. Ack! No wonde...
Christmas A Christmas tribute: meaningful ways to weave memories of lost loved ones into new holiday traditions
For many of us, Christmas is the time of year when we miss our lost loved ones the most. Finding ways to memoriali...