Turn your grill into a pizza oven and get an authentically satisfying homemade entree or appetizer. Our healthy Mushroom and Artichoke Grilled Pizza works great for those who prefer their vegetable servings in pizza form. Besides, everything tastes better on a crispy pizza crust, right? Our delicious veggie pizza recipe includes an easy homemade pizza dough.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
For the pizza
For the sautéed mushrooms (makes 12 oz., enough for 4 pizzas)
For the pizza
- At least 2 hours before baking, remove dough from refrigerator and shape into a ball by gathering dough towards bottom and pinching shut, placing the seam side down. Flour well and place ball in a medium-size mixing bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow dough to rise at warm room temperature until roughly double in volume.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat (350°F to 450°F), and preheat a pizza stone for at least 15 to 25 minutes.
- Press out ball of dough into a rough 8-inch circle, leaving outermost edge about 1 inch thicker than the rest. Gently stretch dough by draping over knuckles into a 12- to 14-inch circle about ¼ inch thick. Transfer to a pizza peel covered with parchment paper.
- Mix the sautéed mushrooms and artichoke hearts together.
- Salt pizza dough with kosher salt, brush the dough with garlic olive oil, and then sprinkle it evenly with ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper. Next, sprinkle half of the mozzarella in a single layer. Then, evenly distribute the mushroom and artichoke mixture. And finally, sprinkle half of the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.
- Slide the pizza on the preheated pizza stone. Grill with the lid closed, until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 10 to 12 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, turn the pizza and add the rest of the mozzarella and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses.
- Using the pizza peel, transfer the pizza from the stone to a wire rack and let the pizza rest for 5 minutes. While resting, scatter the arugula over the pizza. Before serving, lightly drizzle the pizza with garlic olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
For the sautéed mushrooms
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release liquid, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has completely evaporated, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add butter, reduce heat to medium, and continue to cook, stirring once every minute, until mushrooms are dark brown, about 5 minutes longer.
- Add shallot and thyme and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add port wine and cook until liquid has evaporated, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
*To clean the mushrooms, make a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water and spray mushrooms. Let them stand for 1 minute, and then rinse them thoroughly.