Back in the day, when you had to come up with a valentine for everyone in your class, it was enough just to sign your name twenty times…and maybe tape on a heart-shaped sucker. But now that you’re older and your valentine list is shorter, you can afford to take your time adding a meaningful personal message to your card. So you’ve already picked out that perfect Valentine’s Day card, but you need some ideas for what to write inside? You’re in the right place!
In this guide, Hallmark writers offer up inspiration to help you find just the right loving words to add when you sign a valentine. Just click on the appropriate category below to go straight to the ideas you need, or you can read the whole guide and mix and match to create a valentine message that’s uniquely you. Once you’re settled on a message, don’t hesitate to spread the love–you can even send a personalized, handwritten Valentine card today. However you choose to use it, we hope our guide adds a little fun and passion to your valentine signing—truly, endlessly and 4EVER!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
- “Hope your day brings just what you want it to.”
- “Thanks for being the loyal and caring [friend] you are. Love you!”
- “Here’s to a Valentine’s Day filled with good wine, good food and especially good friends like you.”
- “Happy Valentine’s to one of my favorite people. Ever.”
- “Valentine’s Day and every day, I’m grateful for you.”
- “Hope he spoils you. You deserve it.”
- “Someday, our princes will come.”
- “Wish we could be together swapping chocolates and laughing over candy hearts like we used to.”
- “I’ll raise an awesome Valentine’s cocktail to you.”
- “I hope you feel loved and appreciated on Valentine’s Day. Because you are.”
- “[Dad], I hope you’re feeling really loved today. You are!”
- “Have fun on Valentine’s Day, and don’t eat too much candy.”
- “Hope your day is filled with reminders of how much you’re loved.”
- “As my [Mom]…as a friend…as a Valentine…you’re the best!”
- “You make me laugh. You make me think. You make me really glad we’re [sisters].”
- “Thanks for all you do that makes my life happier (which is a lot!).”
- “I don’t care what anyone says about you. I’m still sending you this valentine and claiming you as family.”
- “Valentine’s Day is all about love, and [Mom], there is no one better than you at spreading God’s love wherever you go.”
- “Eating a little chocolate cake in your honor, [Dad]. It’s not as good as yours, but it still brings back good memories of Valentine’s Days growing up!”
- “Love you and miss you, [Mom]! Looking forward to seeing you next month at [Casey’s party]!”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day, Sweetheart.”
- “It’s so sweet having a [daughter] like you. Hope your Valentine’s Day is extra sweet, too.”
- “Love you bunches and bunches.”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day to one of our sweetest blessings.”
- “Missing you and sending you a big Valentine hug!”
- “We love you oodles and oodles, [Aidan]!”
- “Hope you get lots of fun treats today! XOXOXO,”
- “U R 2 Cute!”
- “Wishing a fantastic day to my favorite -year-old Valentine!”
- “Hope your day is filled with fun and your mouth is filled with chocolate!”
- “Hope your day is just as awesome as you are!”
- “Sweet treats on Valentine’s Day help us remember to be sweet to each other. And you’re one of the sweetest kids ever!”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day, Gorgeous.”
- “Wishing the sweetest, happiest day to my forever Valentine.”
- “Tonight is all ours. I can’t wait to celebrate with you.”
- “Especially today, I hope you feel how much I love you and how grateful I am to have you in my life.”
- “You take my breath away. Always.”
- “You have no idea how sexy you are.”
- “I couldn’t ask for a more wonderful [husband] than you.”
- “My heart is all yours.”
- “Thanks for being you and for being mine.”
- “I love all the adventures we have together.”
- “This will definitely be a kids-in-bed-early kind of night. XOXOXO”
- “God is good. I know because he gave me you to love.”
- “I’m so excited to be sharing our first Valentine’s Day together. I hope it’s the first of many…”
- “Wish you were here for me to spoil today.”
- “Has it really been  years? I’d do it all over in a heartbeat.”
For your significant other, you might decide to give more than one Valentine card…and write more than one personal message. If you go this route, consider giving a mix of serious, heartfelt and playful messages, delivered at different times of the day—tucked behind his toothbrush, left on the seat of her car, sent to his office, hand-delivered over a candlelit dinner…
If you’re married to your Valentine, consider including in your count all the Valentine’s Days you shared before tying the knot. Depending on how long you dated, it could make for a much bigger number than your anniversary count!
No matter what you say, use words that sound like you. If you are sincere and you are yourself, your card will be as meaningful as you want it to be.
A warm closing before your signature is like the bow on top of your message. Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
Friends & family
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- All my love,
- Love you,
- All yours,
- Forever yours,
- All my heart,
- Always and forever,
- Hugs and kisses,
- Under your spell,
- With all my love on Valentine’s Day and always,
We sent Hallmark writers to help people write their Valentines. The questions they asked are a great place to start writing your own perfect Valentine. Watch now and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more fun ideas, helpful how-to videos and more.
Chinese New Year is the longest, most celebrated event in Chinese communities around the world. Each year, the Chi...
Holiday festivities—the parties, the presents, the glorious days off—are fun. But as much as we enjoy the break in...