Valentine messages: What to write in a Valentine’s Day card
Back in the day, when you had to come up with a valentine for everyone in your class, it was enough just to sign your name twenty times…and maybe tape on a heart-shaped sucker. But now that you’re older and your valentine list is shorter, you can afford to take your time adding a meaningful personal message to your card. So you’ve already picked out that perfect Valentine’s Day card, but you need some ideas for what to write inside? You’re in the right place!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark.
In this guide, Hallmark writers offer up inspiration to help you find just the right loving words to add when you sign a valentine. Just click on the appropriate category below to go straight to the ideas you need, or you can read the whole guide and mix and match to create a valentine message that’s uniquely you. Once you’re settled on a message, don’t hesitate to spread the love. However you choose to use it, we hope our guide adds a little fun and passion to your valentine signing—truly, endlessly and 4EVER!
What to Write in a Valentine's Day Card
Find tips for crafting your own special Valentine message and get some real life examples and watch-outs from Hallmark senior Writer Cat Hollyer in the video below or skip straight to message ideas using the links above.
For Spouse or Partner
Looking for a little inspiration when it comes to what to write in a Valentine’s Day card to your wife? We’ve got that. What about a Valentine’s Day message for your husband? Yep, we have that, too. Want Valentine’s Day messages for your spouse or life partner? We’ve got you covered. These Valentine’s Day messages range from sweet to silly and everything in between, so you’re sure to find something that will make your favorite person smile.
- It’s cool to be married to your best friend.
- I like who I become when I’m with you.
- Thanks for being my better half.
- I’m so lucky to be the one loving you.
- Happy Valentine’s Day, Beautiful.
- You’re the best, Babe.
- Time goes by, but you’re just as gorgeous and exciting to me as the day we met.
- I’d be so dang lost without you.
- You’re my everything.
- I love all the adventures we have together.
- I get to wake up next to you each day. How cool is that??
- Love doing life with you.
- You’re the bright spot in my day, every day.
- I love being with you no matter what we’re doing.
- We’re so awesome together.
- You make the world better.
- You have no idea how sexy you are.
- You take my breath away. Always.
- Tonight is all ours. I can’t wait to celebrate with you.
- Has it really been  years? I’d do it all over in a heartbeat.
- I hope no one tells you, but you’re out of my league.
- I don’t deserve you. Thanks for being mine.
- Did you see where I put your valentine? Oh, wait…here it is.
- Still not sure how I convinced you to marry me, but so glad I did.
- Thanks for putting up with me. Love you!
- I picked the best guy ever to share my life with.
- We’ve shared a lot of Valentine’s Days, but it never gets boring loving you.
- I love you more than ever.
- Thanks for being my guy.
- Valentine’s Day and every day you make me so happy.
- You’re my cuddly, huggable rock.
- You keep adding reasons why I’m glad I married you.
- There’s no one I’d rather share a heart-shaped pizza with than you.
- I’m so glad I married my best friend.
- This is getting serious!
- There’s nothing more romantic than putting your dirty clothes in the hamper!
- From your TV buddy—me.
- Sweetness. Funniness. Hotness. Just HOW do you do it all?
- Every time I look in your eyes, I fall all over again.
- You make this life thing pretty awesome.
- I love coming home to you.
- I couldn’t ask for a more wonderful husband than you.
- This will definitely be a kids-in-bed-early kind of night.
- God is good. I know because he gave me you to love.
- Wishing the sweetest, happiest day to my forever Valentine.
- You and I are such an awesome us.
- Team Us is a very unbeatable team.
- You’re my love, my best friend, my forever Valentine.
- I’m so happy we’re a thing.
- My heart belongs to you, now and always.
- I’m so happy to be on Team Us.
- Loving you is so much fun.
- I would like all of your Valentine’s Days, please.
- We’re the best together, aren’t we? (Yeah, we are.)
- Thinking about you still makes my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.
- We’re the best couple I know.
- Here’s to more adventures!
- Wish you were here for me to spoil today.
- Always thanking my lucky stars that you’re my person.
- You’re my favorite part of every day.
- I just love you SO! MUCH! UGH.
- I couldn’t have picked a better person to give my heart to.
- Especially today, I hope you feel how much I love you and how grateful I am to have you in my life.
- My heart is all yours.
- Thanks for being you and for being mine.
For your significant other, you might decide to give more than one Valentine card…and write more than one personal message. If you go this route, consider giving a mix of serious, heartfelt and playful messages, delivered at different times of the day—tucked behind his toothbrush, left on the seat of her car, sent to his office, hand-delivered over a candlelit dinner…
If you’re married to your Valentine, consider including in your count all the Valentine’s Days you shared before tying the knot. Depending on how long you dated, it could make for a much bigger number than your anniversary count!
No matter what you say, use words that sound like you. If you are sincere and you are yourself, your card will be as meaningful as you want it to be.
So maybe mushy isn’t your style. That’s okay—love doesn’t always have to be expressed in a serious way. And to prove it, we’ve got lots of ideas for funny Valentine’s Day messages for you.
- Don’t look down here for the mushy stuff. That’s what the card was for!
- Somebunny loves you. Seriously. You’re very popular with rabbits.
- Valentine’s Day with you beats my best ever! (For the record, that was in third grade when a kid gave us all full-size candy bars.)
- You’re like the thing to my other thing that goes with that first thing! (I’m not great with words, obviously.)
- Will you be wine? I love ya merlots.
- It’s true, like for sure.
- Valentine, guess what? Love your butt!
- When should we start rosé-ing?
- Wish you were here to Valenwhine with me. (Or you could write “Valenwine,” depending on your mood.)
For a Longtime Love
Sometimes when you’ve loved each other for so long, it’s hard to think of something to write in a Valentine’s Day card! Let us help you out with these Valentine’s Day messages for longtime loves.
- You’re my forever love and I’m so grateful.
- You give my heart peace over and over again. I love you so much.
- We’ve loved through it all, and that’s what makes me so proud of us.
- Being part of us is the best thing I’ll ever be.
- At the heart of it all, we’re friends. I love that. I love you.
- It’s been a journey…one I’d do all over again.
- You are my Valentine every day, in every way.
- We’re growing old together with a love that’s forever young.
- These days, most people can’t remember a time when we weren’t us. That’s a sweet, sweet thing.
- You still make me laugh like crazy. That’s true love.
- We’ve loved each other through good times, rough spots and life’s joys and sorrows. I’m so thankful for that.
- From fledgling lovebirds to salty old crows, I love that we’ve never lost our sense of humor…or the magic that makes us, us.
- There are so many wonderful reasons I love calling you Valentine.
- Your kindness, your strength, the way you look at me with so much love…this is why you’re my Valentine.
- Love you with all of my heart…and I’ve got a lot of heart!
- Love our life. Love all the things we are together.
Need a sweet Valentine’s Day message for your girlfriend’s card? Yeah, we’ve got you. Whether you’ve been together for a few months or more than a year, we’re hoping you find something that shows her she has your heart.
- Happy Valentine’s Day to my girl-way-more-than-friend.
- You’re funny, sweet, smart AND hot?
- Holy crap, I have really lucked out here.
- A lot of people like to say they’ve found their soul mate. But I’m the one who’s right about it!
- Just thinking about you as I sign this card is making me feel all mushy and romantic.
- My “with you” times are the best part of any day.
- You give me such a good feeling every time we’re together.
- Do you have any idea how beautiful you are? Let me tell you…
- You’re everything I ever dreamed of in a woman.
- I knew you were special when I met you. But day after day, you out-special yourself.
- You make my heart go ahOOOgah.
- I’m so proud to introduce you to EVERYONE.
- WOW, I’m glad we’re dating.
- You’re the best girlfriend ever.
- Happy Valentine’s Day, Gorgeous.
Whether it’s your first Valentine’s Day with your boyfriend or your fifth, we’ve got lots of message ideas to let him know you’re still sweet on him.
- I write your name over and over in the margins of my imaginary notebook.
- I like you and I LIKE like you.
- I still get butterflies.
- I’m so glad you didn’t turn out to be a serial killer.
- Lucky me to have a great guy like you in my life.
- Love you. Can’t wait to show you how much. XOXOXO
- Valentine’s Day used to suck before I found you.
- Turns out you’re so much more than just hot! I’m still very impressed.
- I’m crazy about you.
- How’d I end up with a total smokeshow like you?
- Being with you is the best feeling there is.
- You’re the kind of boyfriend I’m proud of.
- My friends love you, and that says A LOT.
- You’re a real cutie-pie, you know that?
When it comes to writing Valentine’s Day messages especially for family, Hallmark Senior Writer Mercedes Lucero has some super helpful, easy to apply tips that’ll help you make your message feel warm and personal.
For New Relationship or Dating
What do you write in a Valentine’s Day card when you’ve only been dating for a couple weeks? Have no fear, our writers are here with tons of inspiration for what to write in a Valentine’s Day card for new relationships.
- Yay! We’re still dating!
- I love spending time with you.
- You bring out the better in me.
- Thanks for reminding me how much fun dating is.
- I’m so excited to be sharing our first Valentine’s Day together. I hope it’s the first of many…
- And they say dating is supposed to be tough—you make it seem easy to me.
- We’re not single today! Yay!
- We’re kind of new at this Valentine thing, but I just want you to know how exciting you are to me and what a good time I have whenever I’m with you.
- • I don’t know what’s next for us, but whatever it is, I can’t wait.
- • I love where this Us thing is going.
- • I’m excited for us.
- • We’ve got something really good here.
You might be waiting to walk down the aisle, but that doesn’t mean you have to hold off on expressing love! Here are a bunch of ideas for what to write in a Valentine’s Day card to your fiancé(e).
- You’re def the best decision I ever made. =)
- Love you!
- Can’t wait to do “I do” with you.
- My happily-ever-after has already started.
- I can’t believe I get to marry you.
- You’re my forever +1.
- Yes, you have to be romantic today.
- I can’t wait to marry you.
- You’re my Hallmark movie ending.
- We might not be official on paper yet, but we’re official in my heart.
- You make life feel like a fairytale.
- You give me all the butterflies.
Valentine’s Day isn’t just about romantic love! Show your BFF—heck, make that all your buds—some sweetness with these Valentine’s Day messages for friends.
- You’re exactly what friends are for.
- Glad Palentine’s Day is a thing so I can wish you a happy one!
- Thanks for being awesome in so many ways.
- I’m so glad we can count on each other.
- From your partner in crime.
- Thanks for all your love and support.
- It’s a day about love, and I totally love you, friend!
- If you wanna split a bottle of wine and big box of chocolate, I’m down.
- Who says Valentine’s Day is just for lovers? Annoying jerks, that’s who.
- Our friend-love is so important to me.
- Soul mates aren’t just a romantic thing. Thanks for being my friend soul mate.
- Thanks for being the loyal and caring [friend] you are. Love you!
- Here’s to a Valentine’s Day filled with good wine, good food and especially good friends like you.
- Happy Valentine’s to one of my favorite people. Ever.
- Valentine’s Day and every day, I’m grateful for you.
- Hope he/she spoils you. You deserve it.
- Besties are the best dates.
Being single on Valentine’s Day can be hard. Or it can be fun. Everyone’s journey is different. But whether they’re looking or have sworn to stay solo, we’ve got lots of ideas for what to write in a Valentine’s Day card for a single friend.
- And the countdown to settling for each other continues.
- Dunno, just felt right…love ya, was the point, I think.
- Share some candy with you.
- Hope your day brings just what you want it to.
- Eat some heart-shaped candy and know that you’re loved.
- We got all the love we need. <3
- Cheers to a future with more first kisses and tummy butterflies.
- I’ll raise an awesome Valentine’s cocktail to you.
- I hope you feel loved and appreciated on Valentine’s Day. Because you are.
- Someday, our fairytale ending will come. Until then, there’s pizza.
- Wish we could be together swapping chocolates and laughing over candy hearts like we used to.
- Let’s send our condolences to all those couples who wish they were wild and free like us!
- You can’t have Valentine’s Day without wine. Well, we can’t, anyway.
- Date schmate. We’ve got booze!
- Roses are red. Lovebirds are annoying. Where is the chocolate? Let’s start enjoying.
- Who needs a Val date when you can have a Gal (or Pal) date?!
Valentine’s Day can be so much fun for kids! Add some warm-and-fuzzies to their day with these cute messages for kids’ Valentine’s Day cards.
- Hope you get a visit from the Valentine squirrel!
- It takes 437 licks to get the words off a candy heart. You’re welcome.
- Love you in a big way, little guy.
- You make my whole life more heart filled. Love you!
- I feel a little luckier every day to have a kid like you.
- Couldn’t be prouder of you. Couldn’t love you more.
- My heart is always full because of you.
- You’re more than kinda the best and I’m more than kinda grateful.
- It’s so sweet having a [daughter] like you. Hope your Valentine’s Day is extra sweet, too.
- Happy Valentine’s Day to one of our sweetest blessings.
- We love you oodles and oodles, [Aidan]!
- Hope your day is just as awesome as you are!
- Sweet treats on Valentine’s Day help us remember to be sweet to each other. And you’re one of the sweetest kids ever!
You love to see them. You love to spoil them. And we are here for it! Give a little extra love to the little ones in your life with these ideas for what to write in a Valentine’s Day card for grandkids.
- Love you lots! And lots! And lots! (And lots!)
- Big virtual hug incoming!
- You’re sweeter than candy! And that’s really, really sweet!
- Happy Valentine’s Day to the sweetest grandkid in the world!
- Thanks for making my life way more fun.
- It’s Candy and a Hug Day! So happy to share it with you!
- Can’t wait to see about a hundred Valentine’s Day pictures of you.
- They should name candy after you. That’s how sweet you are.
- You made this family about a million percent better.
- Happy Valentine’s Day, Sweetheart.
- Love you bunches and bunches.
- Missing you and sending you a big Valentine hug!
- Hope you get lots of fun treats today! XOXOXO,
- U R 2 Cute!
- Wishing a fantastic day to my favorite -year-old Valentine!
- Hope your day is filled with fun and your mouth is filled with chocolate!
Family is our first love. If you’re wanting to send a few words of affection to the people who’ve known you from day one, read these Valentine’s Day messages for family members and see if they inspire you!
- [Dad], I hope you’re feeling really loved today. You are!
- Have fun on Valentine’s Day, and don’t eat too much candy.
- Hope your day is filled with reminders of how much you’re loved.
- As my [Mom]…as a friend…as a Valentine…you’re the best!
- You make me laugh. You make me think. You make me really glad we’re [sisters].
- Thanks for all you do that makes my life happier (which is a lot!).
- Valentine’s Day is all about love, and [Bro], there is no one better than you at spreading God’s love wherever you go.
- Eating a little chocolate cake in your honor, [Dad]. It’s not as good as yours, but it still brings back good memories of Valentine’s Days growing up!
- Love you and miss you, [Mom]! Looking forward to seeing you next month at [Casey’s party]!
For Tough Times
Life’s struggles wait for nothing—not even Valentine’s Day. The good news? Your message of love and support feels all the more meaningful. Here are some ideas for Valentine’s Day messages for someone who’s going through it.
- “You’re loved every day, especially by me.”
- “I don’t need Valentine’s Day to say how much I care about you.”
- “You have an amazing heart. But you already know that!”
- “I know this isn’t a good year, but you’re a good person, and I care so much about you.”
- “Self-love is one of the greatest kinds of love out there. So treat yourself with kindness (and a lot of chocolate) today.”
- “You’re brave and strong and I love that.”
- “Today might be a tough day, but I’ll tough it out with you, Valentine.”
- “I don’t love Valentine’s Day, but I love you. Thinking of you today.”
- “A toast to all the independent ladies out there…especially you! You’re so loved and admired.”
From the Pet
- “You’re the best pawrent ever and that’s why I love you!”
- “You’re my favorite human to kiss!”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day! Can we cuddle now?”
- “Happy Valentine’s Day from your FURiend!”
- “Grandpawrents are the sweetest! I’m so lucky you’re mine!”
- “Can you TAIL how much I love you?”
- “FURever family. FURever Valentines. That’s us!”
- “Who’s a good dog mom? Who’s a good dog mom? Is it you? Yes it is! You are the best dog mom!”
- “Today, can I fetch YOU a treat?”
- “Hey, Human! Let’s have a ball today!”
- “Dog dads are rad dads! Love you, Papa!”
- “Who wants you to have a happy Valentine’s? MEOW!”
- “My PURRfect Valentine is YOU!”
- “I’ll be HISSterical if you won’t be mine!”
- “Friends of a feather celebrate together! (That’s what a little birdie told me, anyway).”
- “Let’s graze on treats all Valentine’s Day! Whad’ya say, Hooman?”
- “On Valentine’s Day, I don’t give a HOOF what we do…as long as I have YOU!”
A warm closing before your signature is like the bow on top of your message. Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
Friends & family
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- All my love,
- Love you,
- All yours,
- Forever yours,
- All my heart,
- Always and forever,
- Hugs and kisses,
- Under your spell,
- With all my love on Valentine’s Day and always,
Shop Valentine's Day CardsSee all
You may also likeSee more
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Father's Day The history of Father's Day and how Hallmark cards for dads have evolved
We all know Father’s Day is the holiday that falls about a month after Mother’s Day. Mostly because that’s when famil...
Father's Day Free printable Father's Day coloring pages for Dad's #1 fans
Dads take so much pride in their kids’ talents. And if you know a dad who’s been claiming his son or daughter was the...
Mother's Day Free, printable Mother's Day coloring pages to make Mom's heart melt
Moms treasure their kids’ art like no one else. So what better way to brighten up Mom’s special day than by gifting h...
Mother's Day The history of Mother’s Day: Fraught beginnings and fun facts
Ah, Mother’s Day. The one day a year we spoil the women who spoil us the other 364. I think we all can agree Mother’s...
Mother's Day Mother's Day without Mom: Remembering lost loved ones with new traditions
This Mother’s Day will be my third without my mom. She died just before Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2020, which mad...
Spring History of Administrative Professionals Day
Three people led the effort to create Administrative Professionals Day/Week: Mary Barrett, a past president of the...
Easter Easter Eggs-travaganza: Our favorite Easter egg ideas
When it comes to Easter, we think both adults AND kids deserve to have some fun and make fabulous, way-too-pretty-to-...
St. Patrick's Day Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages for Your Little Leprechauns
If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then you know it’s all about sharing love, luck and fun. And what could be more f...
Easter Free printable Easter coloring pages to brighten up your celebration
One of the best things about Easter—in addition to faith, family and food—is all the colors. So we figured we’d throw...
Spring History of Teacher Appreciation Week
People in the United States started celebrating National Teacher Day in 1953 when Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded Cong...
Spring History of Nurses Day
In 1953, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare proposed that President Dwight D. E...
Congratulations Rewards for Kids: 10 Parents Share Their Tips for Celebrating Achievements
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Congratulations How to Give a Toast from the Heart
At some point in your life, you’ll need to give a toast. You might get advance notice as a Maid of Honor or host o...
Congratulations How to Say Congratulations (Even When You'd Really Rather Not)
Congratulating others is easy and fun, right? Like when your friend worked really hard and got that awesome job ma...
New Year's Guilt-Free New Year's Resolutions
“New Year’s resolutions.” To some, those words are filled with pure possibility...an invitation to start anew, comple...
New Year's New Year's Resolution Ideas for Groups
New Year’s resolutions are pretty lonely deals. It’s just you and that thing you have to live up to. Ack! No wonde...
Christmas A Christmas tribute: meaningful ways to weave memories of lost loved ones into new holiday traditions
For many of us, Christmas is the time of year when we miss our lost loved ones the most. Finding ways to memoriali...