1st wedding anniversary gift ideas
Read on for unique ideas for giving 1st anniversary gifts—as well writing anniversary messages and celebrating the happy occasion.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
1st anniversary gifts and ideas for spouses
What to give
- Grab a pen and some stationery and write the kind of love letter that will be tucked away forever. Need help getting started? Try these tips from Hallmark writer Keely Chace.
- Give a book of romantic “love coupons,” purchased or homemade, that can be redeemed for back rubs, chores or other favors.
- Give your mate a pack of beautiful stationery.
- Get matching smart watches or find an antique or vintage clock for your wall or mantel.
- Take out a full-page ad in the local newspaper wishing your partner a happy anniversary and sharing your love for him or her with the world.
- Don’t forget the card! Your paper anniversary is not complete without telling your partner just how much their love means.
- And for more ideas, see what to write in an anniversary card and how to write a love letter.
What to write
What to write in a 1st anniversary card
- “This first year has been so full of love—I can’t wait to see where the other years take us!”
- “When I saw you on our wedding day, my heart was bursting with love…and somehow I love you even more a year later.”
- “Everything I fell in love with is still there, and in this past year, I’ve found even more reasons to love you.”
What to write about in a 1st anniversary love letter
- Your favorite memory from this past year
- What you’ve learned about your partner this year
- A goal (or wish or promise) for your next year of marriage
How to celebrate
- Relive your honeymoon at home (recreate your favorite meals and the ambiance of the restaurant) or by visiting restaurants and attractions, if they’re nearby.
- Don’t forget to eat that cake you froze from your wedding day. (Or, if you didn’t, track down a cake that’s similar to your wedding cake and feed each other a slice.)
- Print out your vows on paper—the traditional first anniversary gift—and frame them.
For more ideas, check out these creative anniversary dates and anniversary traditions.
1st anniversary gifts and ideas for friends and family
- People appreciate personalization, so give note cards or stationery printed with the couples’ names or initials. A pack of stamps makes a thoughtful addition.
- Print your favorite wedding photo and send it in the perfect paper anniversary gift—a card.
- Give a subscription to a magazine or newspaper you think they’d both enjoy.
What to write
- “Hope today is the perfect excuse to drop everything else and focus on the two of you.”
- “So happy to have shared your special day a year ago—here’s to a beautiful couple!”
- “May your love and happiness grow, year after year!”
Shop 1st Anniversary Gifts
You may also likeSee more
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Father's Day The history of Father's Day and how Hallmark cards for dads have evolved
We all know Father’s Day is the holiday that falls about a month after Mother’s Day. Mostly because that’s when famil...
Father's Day Free printable Father's Day coloring pages for Dad's #1 fans
Dads take so much pride in their kids’ talents. And if you know a dad who’s been claiming his son or daughter was the...
Mother's Day Free, printable Mother's Day coloring pages to make Mom's heart melt
Moms treasure their kids’ art like no one else. So what better way to brighten up Mom’s special day than by gifting h...
Mother's Day The history of Mother’s Day: Fraught beginnings and fun facts
Ah, Mother’s Day. The one day a year we spoil the women who spoil us the other 364. I think we all can agree Mother’s...
Mother's Day Mother's Day without Mom: Remembering lost loved ones with new traditions
This Mother’s Day will be my third without my mom. She died just before Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2020, which mad...
Spring History of Administrative Professionals Day
Three people led the effort to create Administrative Professionals Day/Week: Mary Barrett, a past president of the...
Easter Easter Eggs-travaganza: Our favorite Easter egg ideas
When it comes to Easter, we think both adults AND kids deserve to have some fun and make fabulous, way-too-pretty-to-...
St. Patrick's Day Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages for Your Little Leprechauns
If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then you know it’s all about sharing love, luck and fun. And what could be more f...
Easter Free printable Easter coloring pages to brighten up your celebration
One of the best things about Easter—in addition to faith, family and food—is all the colors. So we figured we’d throw...
Spring History of Teacher Appreciation Week
People in the United States started celebrating National Teacher Day in 1953 when Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded Cong...
Spring History of Nurses Day
In 1953, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare proposed that President Dwight D. E...
Congratulations Rewards for Kids: 10 Parents Share Their Tips for Celebrating Achievements
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Congratulations How to Give a Toast from the Heart
At some point in your life, you’ll need to give a toast. You might get advance notice as a Maid of Honor or host o...
Congratulations How to Say Congratulations (Even When You'd Really Rather Not)
Congratulating others is easy and fun, right? Like when your friend worked really hard and got that awesome job ma...
New Year's Guilt-Free New Year's Resolutions
“New Year’s resolutions.” To some, those words are filled with pure possibility...an invitation to start anew, comple...
New Year's New Year's Resolution Ideas for Groups
New Year’s resolutions are pretty lonely deals. It’s just you and that thing you have to live up to. Ack! No wonde...
Christmas A Christmas tribute: meaningful ways to weave memories of lost loved ones into new holiday traditions
For many of us, Christmas is the time of year when we miss our lost loved ones the most. Finding ways to memoriali...