30+ Self-Care Journal Prompts
As a writer, journaling is pretty much my go-to self-care tool. When I need to check in with myself, scribble down some ideas or reflect on my relationships, journaling always helps me feel a little lighter by putting my thoughts into words. But you don’t have to be a writer or a journal expert to start your journaling journey. Journaling is for everyone.
So whether you want to give yourself a little time to care for yourself, unlock your creativity or explore how to bring more compassion to yourself and your loved ones, here are some unique self-care journal prompts to help you dive even deeper.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
Journaling for Self-Care
From relieving stress to boosting your mood, journaling is an excellent way to carve out some necessary me time. Take a moment out of your day to connect with your inner self with these self-care journal prompts.
- What does it mean to you to set healthy boundaries? How can you do more of this?
- What’s something you can forgive yourself for and forget?
- Write a love letter to your body celebrating all the things it can do.
- What are 5 things that make you happy (people, places, movies, songs… anything!)?
- Write a thank-you note from future you thanking you for taking good care of yourself.
- Make a list of affirmations or things you’d like to hear/remember on those hard days.
- How do you imagine yourself in the future? What are your hopes for the future?
- Describe a real or imaginary place that makes you feel safe in as much detail as you can.
- What are your favorite things about your personality?
- What’s something you accomplished that you never dreamed you would?
- Things you should stop saying “yes” to or things you should start saying “no” to.
- Which things/activities/moments in your life leave you feeling energized rather than drained?
Journaling for Creativity
Creative journaling is all about surprising yourself and finding new ways to translate the world around you. Reflecting on how creativity shows up in your life can also offer insight into your own creative process. The self-care journal prompts below are great for unlocking your creative side and exploring your passions.
- Draw your favorite animal with your eyes closed. No judgement, no expectations—only a drawing that makes you laugh or pleasantly surprises you.
- Use a new tool on a page: a new pen, new stickers, paper scraps you haven’t found a use for yet, etc.
- What’s a creative project from your childhood that sticks out in your memory? How can you do it again or do it differently?
- How did you play pretend when you were younger? Capture a play-pretend scene (in writing or drawing or collaging) that’s stuck with you.
- Take a walk and write about all the interesting shadows you notice.
- Go to the nearest window and sketch whatever you see outside.
- Close your eyes and think of your happy place. Now draw your happy place. (Bonus points for doing it with your eyes closed.)
- Use different colors to do a visual representation of your favorite laughs.
- Think about a time when you were an absolute beginner at a creative endeavor. How did it feel to be bad at it at first? Did you improve? What was that journey like?
- Write about your favorite hands-on way of expressing your creativity (sewing, knitting, painting, woodworking, etc.).
- Write about your day without using the letter “a.”
- Choose a song/painting/piece of artwork that you’re drawn to. Why do you think that is? What is it about this piece that resonates with you?
- Go to the nearest window and list every color you notice.
- Make a list of activities/hobbies you’re passionate about and journal about their origin or your personal connection to them.
Journaling for Compassion
Compassion is truly a balm for the soul and it’s always a good time to explore the many ways compassion shows up in your life. When you focus on what it means to care, fostering more compassion throughout your daily life becomes that much easier. Deepen your bond with yourself and others by reflecting on the following self-care journal prompts centered around compassion.
- Describe a time in the past week when someone showed compassion to you.
- Make a compassion bucket list.
- Who is your “compassion role model” and what are some of the things they do to earn this title?
- What does cultural empathy mean to you? How do you practice this?
- What’s something you’ve been tough on yourself about lately? What would it look like to give yourself grace instead of grief about it?
- How would you define empathy? How do you practice it in your life? How could you practice it more?
- Spend time asking an older person (family or friend) about their life experiences, then spend time reflecting in writing on what you’ve learned from them.
- Who is the most compassionate person you know? What’s one thing they do that you could borrow?
- Do you have a globe anywhere nearby? Spin it to the exact opposite side of the world from where you’re standing now. What do you think someone’s day is like there?
- Does anyone you know seem extra lonely at the moment? What could you do to help with that? (It can be a small gesture.)
- List five ways you could spread a little kindness to other people in the next week, then try to do those things.
- Make a list of people you always mean to check in with but never get a chance to follow through. Take some time to write them a quick note or give them a call.
Shop All JournalsSee all
You may also likeSee more
Recipes Say hello to summer with this pretty rosemary paloma cocktail
If summer had a single defining flavor, it would have to be citrus. From lemonade to key lime pie, that mouth-waterin...
Gifting All aboard for celebrating Disney’s 100th anniversary!
Keepsake Artist Gregor Benedetti reveals the Disney 100th Anniversary Special Edition Figurine, complete with lights ...
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday Summer birthday party ideas for everyone
Summer is a great time for outdoor get-togethers. You’re getting fresh air, seeing friends and family, and getting so...
Summer What is Disability Pride Month?: Understanding its importance and finding ways to celebrate
The Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted July 26, 1990 and was the first law in U.S. history to protect people...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 2: Fueling Fandom
This month in our historical 50th Anniversary series, we take a look back at our earliest fan favorites. Keepsake Orn...
Calendar Flip A (Very) Warm Hello! August 2023 Holidays and Observances
Is it hot enough for you? Well, we’re here to add some extra sizzle. It’s time to flip the calendar page, check ou...
Calendar Flip Welcome Autumn! September 2023 Holidays and Observances
Fall brings cooler nights, cute sweaters, homecoming games and tailgate parties. It’s time to flip the calendar page,...
Calendar Flip Let’s celebrate, y’all! July 2023 Holidays and Celebrations
Get ready for friends, family and fireworks—and break out the red, white and blue for Independence Day. It’s time ...
Card Ideas Card messages for kids: What to write in a kid’s holiday card and more
My 3-year-old was having a hard time at preschool drop-off. Dragging his feet. Asking to stay home. This went on a fe...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 1: Start Dreaming!
2023 marks 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments. We are so excited to celebrate ALL year with ALL of you! Each month, you’l...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Gifting 25+ “just because” gift ideas to show you care
I love giving gifts, and it’s easy to do it on birthdays and holidays. But when I really want to flex my gift-giving ...
Gift Wrapping How to use fabric wrap: A step-by-step guide for our reusable wrap
Don't you just love reusing gift bags? Well, now Hallmark has reusable gift wrap, too! Using it to wrap your gifts is...
Gift Wrapping 3 creative ways to reuse gift wrap scraps
Picture this: You’ve just finished wrapping a gift, you’re admiring your hard (but fabulous) work, and suddenly reali...
Arts, Crafts & DIY 8 tips on how to take great photos with your iPhone
Photos have been a huge part of capturing memories ever since cameras were invented. And these days, with advanced ca...
Recipes Cool drink recipes for your summer Golden Girls watch parties
We don’t know about you, but we love a good Golden Girls marathon. Maybe it’s the furniture covered in palm fronds. O...
Gifting Gift ideas to celebrate parents
How do you say “I love you” to parents that mean so much—the ones who’ve handled plenty of diaper changes (the really...
Gifting 10 creative ways to give cash
Whether it’s for a birthday, graduation, Christmas or just because you love them and think they deserve a special tre...