The smoky bacon in this Spicy Pumpkin Chowder recipe provides the perfect contrast to pumpkin. Adding hearty potatoes and corn makes it even more delicious and filling. Add a salad and bread and you've got a wonderful fall dinner—it's like serving autumn in a bowl!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
- In a large pot, sauté the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy. Drain on paper towels and crumble. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat.
- Add butter, olive oil, onion, celery and sage. Sauté over medium heat until the onion and celery begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and chicken stock. Stir, removing any bits at the bottom of the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender but not mushy.
- Add pumpkin purée and cayenne pepper, stirring to completely incorporate the pumpkin. Add corn, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add half-and-half, and warm through.
- Serve topped with bacon crumbles and hot sauce (optional).