This rich Vegetarian Chili recipe features cashews, broccoli, tomatoes and chickpeas, with a dash of cocoa powder for an added layer of flavor. Garnish this hearty, protein-packed Vegetarian Chili with yogurt and cilantro, and you've got a hot and healthy meal made in minutes.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
For the garnishes
- In a food processor, combine the cashews, chili powder and cocoa. Pulse the mix until it’s the texture of coarse meal. Be careful not to turn it into a paste.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Sprinkle with the sugar and cook, stirring, until the onions are softened and begin to turn gold, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, salt and ¼ cup of the water. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cashew mixture, remaining 2 cups water and the crushed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and soy crumbles, and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add more chili powder and salt if needed.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend the yogurt, lemon zest and pepper. In another bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, lemon juice and cilantro. Serve the chili topped with the garnishes.
Tip: For a creamier yogurt topping, spoon the yogurt into a fine-mesh sieve and let it drain while you cook the chili.