Graduation gift card idea: Mini grad cap full of surprises
A gift card is a pretty perfect present but kinda boring to wrap—and that’s where this graduation gift card idea comes in. It doesn’t take much to turn some mini cards, some gift cards and a few extra supplies into a mini mortarboard full of good wishes and money for necessities. Here’s how.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
How to make a mini grad cap gift card holder
What you’ll need
- navy blue or black card stock (or use the grad’s school colors)
- gold cord
- metal brads
- gold paper or kraft paper
- gold paint pen
- gift cards (one or more)
- Just Because mini cards (two or more—add one for each gift card)
- craft glue
Make the mini mortarboard
- Cut a square from the navy or black card stock. It should be a little wider than the envelopes of your Just Because mini cards.
- Write a message to the grad in gold paint pen. Be sure to leave room in the middle for the tassel.
- Cut a length of gold cord about 5″ long.
- Now you’re going to make the tassel. Cut a 6–8″ strip of gold or kraft paper about 2″ wide, and use the scissors to cut fringe, as shown below.
- Put some glue on one end of the fringe, then roll it up around one end of the gold cord. Glue it closed.
Attach the envelopes
- Open all of the envelopes. Use the craft glue (or just lick the envelopes) and attach each flap to the front of another envelope, as shown. All the open sides should face the same way.
- When you get to the last flap, glue it to the back of the mortarboard.
- Use the point on your scissors to poke a hole in the mortarboard, then insert the brad. Wrap the cord around the brad, tie a knot and snip the end.
Finish it up
- Sign the card or cards, pop in the gift cards, fold them up accordion-style and your gift is complete.
More Graduation gift card ideas
Pick a gift card theme for bonus fun:
- Entertainment: Movie tickets, mini golf, iTunes and other fun
- Munchies: Grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops
- Hobbies: Sporting goods, craft shops, hardware stores, craft breweries—whatever they love
- Local tour: Gift cards for local businesses in the graduate’s college town
- Student essentials: Gas station, bus pass, drugstore, grocery store, pizza place, college bookstore, student union and some cash and change for laundry and vending machines
Shop GraduationSee all
You may also likeSee more
Birthday Summer birthday party ideas for everyone
Summer is a great time for outdoor get-togethers. You’re getting fresh air, seeing friends and family, and getting so...
Summer What is Disability Pride Month?: Understanding its importance and finding ways to celebrate
The Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted July 26, 1990 and was the first law in U.S. history to protect people...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 2: Fueling Fandom
This month in our historical 50th Anniversary series, we take a look back at our earliest fan favorites. Keepsake Orn...
Calendar Flip A (Very) Warm Hello! August 2023 Holidays and Observances
Is it hot enough for you? Well, we’re here to add some extra sizzle. It’s time to flip the calendar page, check ou...
Calendar Flip Welcome Autumn! September 2023 Holidays and Observances
Fall brings cooler nights, cute sweaters, homecoming games and tailgate parties. It’s time to flip the calendar page,...
Calendar Flip Let’s celebrate, y’all! July 2023 Holidays and Celebrations
Get ready for friends, family and fireworks—and break out the red, white and blue for Independence Day. It’s time ...
Card Ideas Card messages for kids: What to write in a kid’s holiday card and more
My 3-year-old was having a hard time at preschool drop-off. Dragging his feet. Asking to stay home. This went on a fe...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 1: Start Dreaming!
2023 marks 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments. We are so excited to celebrate ALL year with ALL of you! Each month, you’l...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Gifting 25+ “just because” gift ideas to show you care
I love giving gifts, and it’s easy to do it on birthdays and holidays. But when I really want to flex my gift-giving ...
Gift Wrapping How to use fabric wrap: A step-by-step guide for our reusable wrap
Don't you just love reusing gift bags? Well, now Hallmark has reusable gift wrap, too! Using it to wrap your gifts is...
Gift Wrapping 3 creative ways to reuse gift wrap scraps
Picture this: You’ve just finished wrapping a gift, you’re admiring your hard (but fabulous) work, and suddenly reali...
Arts, Crafts & DIY 8 tips on how to take great photos with your iPhone
Photos have been a huge part of capturing memories ever since cameras were invented. And these days, with advanced ca...
Recipes Cool drink recipes for your summer Golden Girls watch parties
We don’t know about you, but we love a good Golden Girls marathon. Maybe it’s the furniture covered in palm fronds. O...
Gifting Gift ideas to celebrate parents
How do you say “I love you” to parents that mean so much—the ones who’ve handled plenty of diaper changes (the really...
Gifting 10 creative ways to give cash
Whether it’s for a birthday, graduation, Christmas or just because you love them and think they deserve a special tre...