Everybody's favorite cocktail party finger food, the Cheese Straw, is made even better with this quick and easy appetizer recipe. Whether you're serving these savory treats at a New Year's Eve party or a baby shower, just form the puff pastry into numbers or shapes for a fun thematic touch. Top with your favorite cheese and you have a delectable party snack.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
- Unfold the defrosted sheet of pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Lightly brush ½ of the pastry with egg wash, and sprinkle it with kosher salt and ½ the shredded cheese. Fold the un-topped side of the pastry over the cheese and press together.
- Turn the pastry and roll into about a 7-by-12-inch rectangle. (You may want to clean up the edges with a knife.)
- Apply another layer of egg wash to the entire sheet of pastry. Then add the rest of the cheese and another sprinkling of salt.
- Cut the pastry into strips. On a baking sheet, twist strips into numerals. Bake according to package directions.