Like many Southern pies, and pecan pies in particular, this dessert is for those with a serious sweet tooth. Hallmark's Chocolate-Pecan Pie recipe blends chocolaty goodness with a nutty pecan flavor to entice each guest to try at least one bite. For those wanting a healthier version, we also provide a reduced-calorie Chocolate-Pecan Pie recipe as well as three other tasty twists on the traditional pecan pie, including Rum-Raisin Pecan Pie, Almond-Butterscotch Pie and Maple-Cream Pecan Pie .
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the brown sugar, corn syrup, melted butter, bourbon and salt.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the bottom of the pie shell. Pour in the filling. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the edges of the filling are firm and the center is set but still a little quivery, like gelatin. If the edges of the crust start to brown too quickly, cover them with strips of foil.
- Let cool for at least 1½ hours to make it easier to slice. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you make the pie ahead of time and refrigerate it, you should warm it in a 275°F oven for about 15 minutes before serving to soften the chocolate just a bit.
Reduced-calorie chocolate-pecan pie: Reduce the number of whole eggs to 2, but add 3 egg whites. Reduce the brown sugar to ⅔ cup. Reduce the butter to 2 tablespoons. Use mini chocolate chips and reduce the amount to 6 tablespoons. Reduce the pecans to ⅔ cup.
Rum-raisin pecan pie: Use golden raisins (or regular raisins) instead of the chocolate chips. Reduce the brown sugar to ⅔ cup. Use dark rum instead of bourbon.
Almond-butterscotch pie: Use slivered almonds instead of pecans, and butterscotch chips instead of chocolate. Reduce the brown sugar to ⅔ cup. Omit the bourbon. Add ¼ teaspoon almond extract and 1 tablespoon Scotch whiskey.
Maple-cream pecan pie: Beat ¼ cup sour cream into the eggs in step 2. Reduce the corn syrup to ¼ cup and replace it with ¼ cup maple syrup (Grade B, if you can find it). Omit the butter. Omit the bourbon. Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.