Densely packed with tart-crisp apples, this Apple Pie with Streusel Topping stands out for its robust flavor and easy preparation. The sour cream streusel topping sets it apart from ordinary apple pies. The incredible medley of flavors in this apple pie recipe make it hard to believe it is so easy to make!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the walnuts. Sprinkle with the melted butter and vanilla, and stir with a fork until evenly moistened. Set aside the streusel topping.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and granulated sugar. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Arrange the apple slices in the pie shell in tight stacks, arranging the stacks so that there are as few gaps as possible. The apples should be very densely packed. Spread the yogurt mixture over the apples, leaving a ½-inch border all around. Sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping, going right up to the pastry
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (for any drips). Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F, and bake for 40 minutes or until the topping is browned and the apples are bubbling. Cover the edge of the piecrust with foil if it starts to get too brown.