Coconut Rice is a popular Colombian side dish during the holidays, family reunions or other special occasions. This particular Coconut Rice recipe is from the northern region of Colombia and features coconut milk, long grain rice, coconut water, salt and sugar.
Inspired? Create and share with #hallmark.
- Pour the coconut milk into a large pan. Bring to boil on high heat, and then reduce heat to medium low, stirring constantly for 40 to 45 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated, leaving the coconut pieces.
- Continue stirring until all the bits of coconut turn a caramel color.
- Add the rice followed by the sugar and salt. Then, add the water, coconut water or combination of both. Bring to a boil on medium to reduce the liquid.
- Cover and cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir. The rice should be fluffy and tender. If not, cover and cook an additional few minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fluffy.