Friendship Messages: What to Write in a Friendship Card
Whether it’s your friend’s birthday or just any old day, sending a card with a handwritten message is a great way to bring a smile and nurture the connection you’re lucky enough to share with them.
Looking for some fresh thoughts on what to write? We’ve got some! A few of our tips lean more toward the short and sweet, and others work great as jumping-off points for longer messages. Whichever direction you’re leaning, feel free to tailor our ideas to fit your unique relationship with your friend.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark.
Make a List
We’ve suggested lists of 3, 5, or 10, but you can make your list as long as you dare (maybe even 40 compliments for a 40th birthday?). You can always enclose an extra sheet of paper if needed.
- My 3 Favorite Memories of You
- Top 5 Reasons I’m Glad We’re Friends
- The 10 Greatest Things About You
- Three Times You’ve Made My Day
- Ten Reasons I Love You
Compliment a Favorite Quality
Call out one of the things you love most about your friend. Better yet, go on to give an example of that quality in action. Below are some idea starters…
Give a Sweet Compliment
Here are just a few ideas…
- You’re one of the kindest people I’ve ever been lucky enough to know.
- You’re a great listener.
- You’d do anything for the people you care about.
- Your strength inspires me.
- You have the best laugh.
- You’ll always be one of my very favorite people.
Give an Edgy Compliment
This kind of compliment is not for every friend…but if it’s right for yours, you’ll know it right away!
- You’re a total badass!
- You’re not one to sugarcoat things. You tell it like it is.
- We love to hate all the same things!
- You have a refreshing inappropriate streak.
- You’re the one I can talk to when I don’t have anything nice to say.
- We’re like peas in a pod. (Snarky peas. Sarcastic pod.)
Remind your friend how much you appreciate them. The more specific you can be, the better.
- I’m grateful for you because…
- I’m so lucky to have a friend like you. Here’s why:
- I’m glad we’re friends for so many reasons. Just to name one…
- Ways you’re a blessing to me:
- I appreciate so many things about you—especially…
- I cherish you, and I cherish our friendship.
- It means so much to know you’re on my side.
- Thank you for all the times you’ve been there for me—like the time when…
- Thanks for putting up with me.
- Your friendship means so much.
Write in the Key of “We”
Write about what’s so great about the two of you together. Here are a few starting points…
- We just clicked right from the start.
- We’re kindred spirits.
- We’re surprisingly alike deep down where it really counts.
- We complement each other.
- We’ve shared so much.
- We’ve been friends so long.
- We know each other so well.
- We make a great team.
- We have so much fun together.
- We can be real together.
- We understand each other.
- We’re there for each other.
- We put the “party” in party of two!
Share a Friendship Quote
Below are a few possibilities, but explore favorite books, songs, movies or other sources to find some friendly words that would have special meaning for your friend. Also, check out our list of friendship quotes.
- “True friends are always together in spirit.” —L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
- “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
- “Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends.” ― Hafiz
Shop Friendship CardsSee all
You may also likeSee more
Congratulations Rewards for Kids: 10 Parents Share Their Tips for Celebrating Achievements
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Congratulations How to Say Congratulations (Even When You'd Really Rather Not)
Congratulating others is easy and fun, right? Like when your friend worked really hard and got that awesome job ma...
New Year's New Year's Resolution Ideas for Groups
New Year’s resolutions are pretty lonely deals. It’s just you and that thing you have to live up to. Ack! No wonde...
Christmas Baby’s First Christmas Ideas
Baby's first Christmas means more fun, more cuteness, more joy...and definitely more wonder as you see the holiday se...
Encouragement Encouragement Messages: What to Write in an Encouragement Card
Everyone can use a little encouragement now and then. Sadly, both inner struggles and external setbacks are an una...
Father's Day What to Write in a Father's Day Card
Find just the right words to tell dad just how much you appreciate him even if you cannot be together this Father's Day.
Sympathy What to Write in a Sympathy Card
Signing a sympathy card isn’t easy. We search for words. We wonder what would be comforting to hear. We worry abou...
Mother's Day What to Write in a Mother's Day Card
Tell her just how much she means using this guide from Hallmark writers.
Thank You What to write in a thank-you card
Express your gratitude with these thank you messages and ideas from Hallmark card writers.
Mother's Day How to Write an Appreciation Letter for Mom
No one has loved you (or put up with you) like Mom has. Or let’s say it wasn’t “Mom”—maybe it’s been a stepmom, grand...
Easter Inspiring Easter message ideas: What to write in an Easter card
Easter comes at such a hopeful time of year, and that optimism is a great feeling to share in a card or note to so...
Card Ideas What to Write in a Lunar New Year Card
Lunar New Year is the most important celebration of the year for those who follow the lunar calendar. It’s a time ...
Valentine's Day What to Write in a Valentine's Day Card
Hallmark writers offer up inspiration to help you find just the right loving words to add when you sign a valentine.
Birthday What to Write in a Birthday Card
When it comes to signing birthday cards, there are people who have no problem picking up a pen and adding a warm, per...
Christmas Christmas Wishes: What to Write in a Christmas Card
Get sample messages, tips and watch our new video guide to write the perfect Christmas card.
Anniversary What to Write in an Anniversary Card
Here’s to lasting love! From still-newlyweds toasting with wine glasses they opened on their weddin...
Lifestyle How to journal: 5 reasons, 3 ways, and 9+ styles
Start journaling today with our easy guide on how and why to journal
Card Ideas Video Greeting Cards
Make moments last a lifetime. With Video Greeting Cards, it’s easy to create one-of-a-kind videos to connect with peo...
Quinceañera What to Write in a Quinceañera Card
If you feel like you don’t know enough about quinceañeras and you want the right words to tell the guest of honor you...
Card Ideas Envelope Addressing Etiquette for Weddings and Formal Occasions
When you address wedding invitations or another piece of formal correspondence, traditional etiquet...