Whether it’s your friend’s birthday or just any old day, sending a card with a handwritten message is a great way to bring a smile and nurture the connection you’re lucky enough to share with them.
Looking for some fresh thoughts on what to write? We’ve got some! A few of our tips lean more toward the short and sweet, and others work great as jumping-off points for longer messages. Whichever direction you’re leaning, feel free to tailor our ideas to fit your unique relationship with your friend.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
We’ve suggested lists of 3, 5, or 10, but you can make your list as long as you dare (maybe even 40 compliments for a 40th birthday?). You can always enclose an extra sheet of paper if needed.
- My 3 Favorite Memories of You
- Top 5 Reasons I’m Glad We’re Friends
- The 10 Greatest Things About You
- Three Times You’ve Made My Day
- Ten Reasons I Love You
Call out one of the things you love most about your friend. Better yet, go on to give an example of that quality in action. Below are some idea starters…
Here are just a few ideas…
- You’re one of the kindest people I’ve ever been lucky enough to know.
- You’re a great listener.
- You’d do anything for the people you care about.
- Your strength inspires me.
- You have the best laugh.
- You’ll always be one of my very favorite people.
This kind of compliment is not for every friend…but if it’s right for yours, you’ll know it right away!
- You’re a total badass!
- You’re not one to sugarcoat things. You tell it like it is.
- We love to hate all the same things!
- You have a refreshing inappropriate streak.
- You’re the one I can talk to when I don’t have anything nice to say.
- We’re like peas in a pod. (Snarky peas. Sarcastic pod.)
Remind your friend how much you appreciate them. The more specific you can be, the better.
- I’m grateful for you because…
- I’m so lucky to have a friend like you. Here’s why:
- I’m glad we’re friends for so many reasons. Just to name one…
- Ways you’re a blessing to me:
- I appreciate so many things about you—especially…
- I cherish you, and I cherish our friendship.
- It means so much to know you’re on my side.
- Thank you for all the times you’ve been there for me—like the time when…
- Thanks for putting up with me.
- Your friendship means so much.
Write about what’s so great about the two of you together. Here are a few starting points…
- We just clicked right from the start.
- We’re kindred spirits.
- We’re surprisingly alike deep down where it really counts.
- We complement each other.
- We’ve shared so much.
- We’ve been friends so long.
- We know each other so well.
- We make a great team.
- We have so much fun together.
- We can be real together.
- We understand each other.
- We’re there for each other.
- We put the “party” in party of two!
Below are a few possibilities, but explore favorite books, songs, movies or other sources to find some friendly words that would have special meaning for your friend. Also, check out our list of friendship quotes.
- “True friends are always together in spirit.” —L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
- “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.” ― Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey
- “Your heart and my heart are very, very old friends.” ― Hafiz
Holiday festivities—the parties, the presents, the glorious days off—are fun. But as much as we enjoy the break in...
Taking part in holiday traditions and rituals helps us feel like we’re a part of something bigger. They give us a ...