Gifts for New Parents: Thoughtful Things to Give and Do
We know what to get for babies: onesies and blankies and binkies. But what about the newly overwhelmed moms and dads? We chatted with some experienced and professionally thoughtful folks about their favorite gifts for new parents.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @hallmarkstores.
Tasty gifts for new parents
While their focus is on feeding the baby, they might not be as on top of their own meal plans. A few ways you can help:
- Have food delivered. Whether it’s a service like Schwan’s or a local grocery store, you can send anything from midnight snacks to comfort food to full meals. Fresh fruit is a great choice: It’s healthy, easy to snack on, and handy to share with folks who drop by.
- Delicious drinks and teas for mamas who need to stay hydrated. Drop off a grocery bag full of goodies and this recipe for a Chocolate Peanut Butter “Green” Smoothie. Or a basket full of her favorite teas and some fresh lemons.
- Treats for distracted diners. If you’re cooking food to drop by, consider dishes that are 1) easy to eat one-handed and 2) taste great at room temperature. No-spill travel mugs that keep drinks hot or cold are a great choice, too.
- Date night gift cards. When they’re ready, treat them to a night at their favorite restaurant and some free babysitting by their trusted friend. (If that is not you, enlist someone on their “approved” list.)
Thoughtful gestures for Baby’s new family
Gestures don’t have to be grand. Sometimes the simplest acts will make the biggest difference in their day.
- A little fresh air. Offer to take siblings, the dog—or even the new baby—for a stroll around the park so Mom and Dad can nap.
- Help with tasks. Tell them you’re coming over to do the laundry and the dishes, mow the lawn, tidy the living room, or any other chores they don’t have time to get to.
- Running errands. Before you head out to manage your own to-do list, let them know where you’ll be and ask if you can pick anything up.
- Party at their place. OK, maybe redefine “party.” But when you can sense they’re needing some grown-up time, offer to meet them at their house instead of packing up and heading out to your regular hangout. Promise to ignore any messes.
Comforting gifts for new Moms and Dads
Their world just got turned upside down, so parents will appreciate anything that softens the landing. What to give:
- Nice leisurewear. During those first few weeks, they’ll appreciate wearables that feel like pajamas but are totally presentable when family and friends visit. Bonus points if they’re easy to wipe off, keep their shape with repeated wears, and don’t show spit-up.
- Moisturizing hand sanitizer or hand lotion—all unscented. Parents (and anyone who enters the baby zone) will be keeping their mitts extra clean, and that can mean dry, itchy skin.
- A sympathetic ear. Go over, sit with Mom, hold the baby, and let her talk about anything, everything, and everyone.
- Sweet, sweet permission: When you send emails or voice-mails or notes or gifts, include a message that says you don’t need a response or even a thank-you note. Let them know you understand their most important priority is connecting with their little one, and you’ll be there when they need you.
A few more thoughtful gifts
- Your most-trusted stain remover
- A five-year journal that lets them capture one simple thing every day
- A box of thank-you notes, pre-stamped, and printed with their return address
- A soft light for late-night feeding and diaper changing
- Giant batteries for the swing and bouncer
Check out Hallmark’s selection of baby gifts find everything you need to welcome new baby with love. Shop new baby.
What else? We’d love to know the best gifts you got when you were a new parent—or gave to a new mom and dad. Share your gifts with us by tagging @HallmarkStores.
You may also likeSee more
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Father's Day The history of Father's Day and how Hallmark cards for dads have evolved
We all know Father’s Day is the holiday that falls about a month after Mother’s Day. Mostly because that’s when famil...
Father's Day Free printable Father's Day coloring pages for Dad's #1 fans
Dads take so much pride in their kids’ talents. And if you know a dad who’s been claiming his son or daughter was the...
Summer Free printable summer coloring pages to help you beat the heat
In summer, when it’s impossibly hot outside and all you wanna do is stay inside, it can be hard to find things to do....
Mother's Day Free, printable Mother's Day coloring pages to make Mom's heart melt
Moms treasure their kids’ art like no one else. So what better way to brighten up Mom’s special day than by gifting h...
Mother's Day The history of Mother’s Day: Fraught beginnings and fun facts
Ah, Mother’s Day. The one day a year we spoil the women who spoil us the other 364. I think we all can agree Mother’s...
Mother's Day Mother's Day without Mom: Remembering lost loved ones with new traditions
This Mother’s Day will be my third without my mom. She died just before Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2020, which mad...
Drinks Sparkling green tea soda
Green tea has been much applauded for its health-giving properties, but it also makes a great base for a sparkling su...
Spring History of Administrative Professionals Day
Three people led the effort to create Administrative Professionals Day/Week: Mary Barrett, a past president of the...
Easter Easter Eggs-travaganza: Our favorite Easter egg ideas
When it comes to Easter, we think both adults AND kids deserve to have some fun and make fabulous, way-too-pretty-to-...
St. Patrick's Day Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Coloring Pages for Your Little Leprechauns
If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then you know it’s all about sharing love, luck and fun. And what could be more f...
Easter Free printable Easter coloring pages to brighten up your celebration
One of the best things about Easter—in addition to faith, family and food—is all the colors. So we figured we’d throw...
Spring History of Teacher Appreciation Week
People in the United States started celebrating National Teacher Day in 1953 when Eleanor Roosevelt persuaded Cong...
Spring History of Nurses Day
In 1953, an official with the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare proposed that President Dwight D. E...
Congratulations Rewards for Kids: 10 Parents Share Their Tips for Celebrating Achievements
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Congratulations How to Give a Toast from the Heart
At some point in your life, you’ll need to give a toast. You might get advance notice as a Maid of Honor or host o...
Congratulations How to Say Congratulations (Even When You'd Really Rather Not)
Congratulating others is easy and fun, right? Like when your friend worked really hard and got that awesome job ma...
New Year's Guilt-Free New Year's Resolutions
“New Year’s resolutions.” To some, those words are filled with pure possibility...an invitation to start anew, comple...