Hooray for all the moms in our lives—mothers, grandmothers, godmothers, stepmothers, mothers-in-law, foster moms, bonus moms, other-mothers, aunts, wives, partners, sisters, friends, fellow moms, mentors and women who love with a mother’s heart.
Chances are you know at least a few moms who deserve a shout-out on Mother’s Day. If you’d like some creative ideas for what to write in their Mother’s Day cards you’ve come to the right place—we’ve got tons of inspiration in the form of Mother’s Day messages and closing wishes from Hallmark writers.
Read the whole guide or jump straight to the specific ideas that suit your style or your need. Whichever way you go, we hope our ideas help you honor and celebrate the amazing mothers in your life!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark.
Find tips for crafting your own special Mother’s Day message and get some real life examples and watch-outs from Hallmark senior Writer Cat Hollyer in the video below or skip straight to Mother’s Day message ideas using the links above.
Her love is big—but it’s okay if your message isn’t. Sometimes the truest things are the simplest things.
- You hold such a special place in my heart. I’m so thankful for you.
- I’m so proud to be your [son/daughter/child/kid].
- Right from the start, you supported me in everything. Thank you for being there with just the love I needed.
- Now that I’m grown, I don’t just feel gratitude for you—I admire you.
- Raising me took a lot of patience. Thanks for hanging in there with me!
- Mama, you sacrificed so I could rise. I want you to know I see that.
- With love from the luckiest [son/daughter/child/kid] in the world.
- Sorry if I drove you crazy sometimes—but you know I only do that to people I love!
- Happy Mother’s Day, Mama. Every day I’m thankful you’re mine.
- You’re my mom. You’re my friend. You’re everything to me.
- Mama, you often stood between me and the unfair stuff. Thank you for protecting my spirit.
- Mamá, eres muy especial en mi vida, y por eso este Día de las Madres te deseo mucho amor y felicidad.
- For all you do and all you are, we love you with all our hearts.
- As a [mom/mother-in-law/grandma]—you’re the best, and we feel so blessed to have you!
- Mama, your love speaks to each of us in just the way we need.
- Thanks for putting up with us! We love you so very, very much.
- Thanks for making home the happiest place to be.
- We’re thinking of you with lots of love today!
- Mom, you’re the glue that holds us together.
- Gracias por tanto esfuerzo y dedicación. Te queremos con todo el corazón.
Helpful tip: If your relationship with your mother is complicated, don’t feel obligated to make your message more complimentary or effusive than you feel. Instead, be warm and sincere in your card message. Focus on what’s positive and true between you. Tell her you’re thinking of her. Or simply wish her a beautiful day.
If making Mom laugh is more your style—or if showing lots of emotion is uncomfortable for you—a funny Mother’s Day message might feel like a more genuine way to connect with her.
- Mom, I was lucky enough to inherit your eyes and your sense of humor. I keep hoping I’ll get your lie-detector capabilities, too!
- Happy Mother’s Day, from your favorite child. (It’s okay, I haven’t told the others.)
- Roses are red, violets are blue. I brought you this Mother’s Day card…mind if I raid the fridge, too?
- If I ever win the lottery, I’m totally making sure you get all the overtime pay you deserve for being our family’s taxi driver, on-call nurse, personal shopper, and referee.
- One day a year to recognize a job that gets no days off a year? Get in the car, Mom…we’re unionizing.
- You know, Mom, it was really cool of you to ignore all those times I got home past curfew. What, you don’t remember that? Haha, just kidding, me either!
- I’m so grateful for your love—and the fact that you have never shared my bath-time pictures on social media.
- This Mother’s Day, I’d like to propose a deal—I’ll promise to visit more often if you’ll promise to stop referring to the dog as my brother. Agreed?
Whether she goes by Grandmama, Nana, Nonna, Gran, Abuela or another name, your grandmother is definitely someone to honor and celebrate on Mother’s Day!
- You’ll always have your own special place in my heart, Nana.
- You’ve always spoiled me rotten, and I’ve loved every second of it.
- Abuela, you’re a big part of my favorite memories and an even bigger reason why I feel so lucky to be born into this family.
- God knew what He was doing when He made you a grandma—He knew you’d be the best one ever.
- I hope you know how much I admire the strong woman you are.
- Nana, you’ve taught me so much about love and family.
- I could sure use a grandma hug right now.
- Thanks for all the cookies and love. And cookies. Did I mention cookies?
- Grandma, your love has shaped me in lasting ways.
- You went above and beyond to help raise me and it’s given us such a special connection.
- Eres una mujer llena de virtudes. Tenerte como abuela es una gran bendición.
- You are the heart and soul of our family. Love you, Grammy!
- For all you’ve gone through, all you are and all the love you share, we love you, Grandmama.
- You are the cornerstone of our family.
- You’re the best listener, the best cook, the best friend…basically, the best grandma I could ask for.
- You don’t just give love, you are love. And we love you so much, too.
- Gran, your strength is the foundation we all stand on.
- Abuela, hoy te celebramos y reconocemos el gran valor que le das a nuestra familia.
Helpful tip: If the card you choose for your grandmother says “Grandma,” but you call her Nonna Becky or K-K, use your written message to personalize it, addressing her by the familiar title or name you always use for her.
Mother’s Day is a great opportunity to show affection and appreciation for your stepmom—someone who might not be your biological mother, but has shown you a lot of love and support over the years. Here are some ideas:
- You didn’t have to fall in love with us when you fell in love with [Dad/Mom], but we’re so glad you did. And we love you right back.
- The universe knew I needed you in my life. So glad to have you as my “bonus Mom.”
- I didn’t start my life loving you, but now I can’t imagine life without you.
- You never tried to replace anyone—you simply came into my life and offered more love. And I can’t thank you enough for that generosity.
- You showed me that stepmoms aren’t evil. You also taught me that some frogs stay frogs. Thanks for setting the record straight.
- When we met you, we didn’t know what to expect. But you totally blew us away with how fun and loving you are. Talk about best surprise ever!
- In you, I have a mom and a friend. It’s like the world’s best buy-one-get-one-free offer!
- You don’t mom like my mom, and I genuinely appreciate that. It’s taught me to see love in so many different ways.
If you’re very lucky, you have an auntie, godmother or other caring woman close to you who has been a unique mix of friend, family, mentor and/or bonus mom to you through the years. Here are some things you might say to someone who’s like a mother to you on Mother’s Day.
- Auntie, there’s simply no one else like you. I’m so blessed we’re family…and that we’re friends.
- You’ve been like a mom to me—someone I can tell anything and ask anything. Thank you for being such an important person in my life.
- With love to an amazing human…from someone who hopes to be half as amazing as you someday.
- Just wanted to recognize you on Mother’s Day for being such a caring and positive influence in my life.
- I’m forever grateful, and I look up to you more than you know.
- Happy Mother’s Day to an amazing woman I’ll always admire, appreciate and love!
- We hope it doesn’t come as a surprise that we’re thinking of you today. After all, you’ve loved us just like a mom.
- Every time my heart said “I need a/my mom,” you were there.
- Tu presencia en mi vida es un regalo de amor. Gracias por el cariño, el apoyo y tu sabiduría.
Helpful tip: Mother’s Day is truly for all women who love with a mother’s heart. Giving birth is not required. Don’t hesitate to send a card and write a warm message to any woman who has been a strong and caring influence in your life.
She raised your favorite person, which definitely makes her worth celebrating. You can write a separate message in a card with your spouse or partner or give her your own card to make her feel extra special. Either way, check out these ideas for Mother’s Day messages for your mother-in-law.
- Marriage made you my mother-in-law. Love made you my friend.
- I couldn’t let Mother’s Day go by without thanking you for raising one heck of a wonderful human to be my partner in life.
- I love all the ways you find to keep our family relationships thriving.
- Of all the wonderful things we have in common, I think our love for [spouse/partner’s name] is the best.
- You’re a wonderful mama to [spouse/partner’s name], a wonderful grandmama to our kids, and a wonderful friend to me. How did I get so wonderfully lucky?
- The way you’ve made me part of your family and care for me like one of your own makes me feel loved in a way I’ve never known.
- You always know what to say, what to bring and what to do. Teach me your ways, oh wise one!
- I know mamas never stop worrying about their kids. But I hope my love for [spouse/partner’s name] allows you to worry a little less!
- It makes me so happy to know you trust me with the family poundcake recipe. Oh, and [spouse/partner’s name]’s heart, too. 🙂
What does a mom want to hear from her spouse on Mother’s Day? It’s no big mystery. She wants to hear that her partner sees all she does and appreciates her for it. A card is the perfect place to say it. And if there’s a “you’re a goddess/saint/miracle-worker” comment or a spa gift certificate to go along with it, then so much the better!
- You are more beautiful than ever to me.
- I love our family, and I love you.
- Creativity, laughter, dedication…there’s so much to admire in the way you do motherhood day in and day out.
- You hold us down, lift us up and keep us together—all with your love.
- Thank you for all the ways you go above and beyond every day for our family. The kids and I are so lucky to have you.
- I’m so grateful to be sharing life, love and parenthood with someone as creative and fun as you.
- From the moment we met, you’ve had my heart. And seeing you as a mom only makes me love you more.
- For the wife who is a stepmom to her spouse’s child: Thank you for being such a wonderful mother to my daughter. It means so much to see the way you care for her…and the way she loves you, too.
- You’re a boss mama and a beautiful woman, too. I love everything about you.
- Formar un hogar y tener una familia contigo es lo mejor que me ha pasado en la vida. Te amo, Mi Amor.
Helpful tip: Romantic or suggestive messages don’t tend to go over as well on Mother’s Day. Save those for your anniversary, Valentine’s Day or a just-because love card.
Messages for sisters and friends tend to be similar because they’re both peer relationships. You’re probably close in age and life stage. You might even share a special bond because you’re both experiencing parenthood at the same time.
- Celebrating the amazing mom you are to your own kids and the wonderful aunt you are to mine!
- I always knew you’d be a great mom someday.
- So glad our kids are cousins!
- Wishing you a sweet, quiet, gross-out-free Mother’s Day!
- So glad we’re moms together—it’s one more sweet thing we get to share.
- I can tell from how your kids act that they feel totally loved. And of course they do—they have the best mom ever!
- You’re an amazing friend, and you’re a mom I admire so much.
- We started as mom-friends, but now we’re just plain friends. I’m so glad we are. Happy Mother’s Day!
- Mother’s Day, margarita, mojito and merlot all start with “m.” Coincidence? Surely not.
- I don’t know how you do it. But I can easily see that you are doing a wonderful job of being a mom.
- You are a blessing to your family…and to me.
- I’m so grateful to have a friend and fellow mom like you in my life. Thank you for helping me deal with all the ups and downs of motherhood!
- I believe in my heart that someday we’ll once again pee alone.
- You’ve got me. I’ve got you. And we’ve both got Jesus to help us raise these kids!
- Hermana, eres una mujer que ama a su familia sin condición, y por eso te admiro mucho.
Helpful tip: Whether she’s a rookie or a veteran, a mom can always use a little encouragement. Mother’s Day is the perfect occasion for a reminder that she is doing a great job with her kids.
There’s something so heartwarming about seeing your daughter or granddaughter become a mother in her own right. On Mother’s Day, celebrate her for giving you those grandbabies (or great-grandbabies) you’ve waited so patiently for!
- I’m so proud of you I can’t even express it. Your children are a beautiful reflection of your loving heart.
- Happy Mother’s Day to [my/our] beautiful daughter. Thanks for being such a devoted mother to a few of our favorite grandchildren!
- Now that you’re a mom, hope you know a little of the joy I knew when I had you.
- You’ve always been such a great daughter…and you’ve made me such a happy grandmother!
- Motherhood is such a perfect expression of the gentle, caring person you are. It really warms our hearts to see you with your little one(s).
- You’ve always been so loving. To see your love poured into your family every day makes me so proud.
- Hija, eres una madre ejemplar, y por eso hoy te mereces un día rodeada de mucho amor y lleno de cosas lindas.
- The world is changing so much, in so many ways. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the love moms give. And you do that in your own beautiful way. I’m so proud of you.
- I am so lucky to have you for my granddaughter. And your [daughter/son/child] is even luckier to have you for [her/his/their] mother.
- Thinking of you and that sweet grandbaby of mine today!
- So proud of the wonderful job you’re doing as a mom.
- Seems like just yesterday you were a little girl yourself. Love seeing you as a mom!
- Happy Mother’s Day to a granddaughter who just keeps on bringing joy to her family.
- Gracias por llenar nuestra familia de ternura y esperanza. Eres una maravillosa nieta y mamá.
Helpful tip: Pride is a strong theme for daughters and granddaughters who are mothers. Let her know that motherhood is one of the many reasons you’re proud of her.
For a mom-to-be or first-time mom, her experience of Mother’s Day is unique. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime occasion for her, and that definitely calls for a special mention in your message.
- Happy Mother-to-Be Day! I can tell you’re going to make such a good mom!
- Happy Mother’s Day to our favorite mom-to-be with lots of love and anticipation!
- You’re joining the mom club! Hope this Mother’s Day will be the first of many special ones for you.
- Wishing you so much love and joy today as you wait for the arrival of your little one!
- Happy Mother’s Day to a mom who’s already shown her baby so much love.
- Hoy también celebramos a las futuras mamás, así que disfruta de un día lleno de felicidad.
- Everyone jokes about spoiling the baby. When can I come over and help spoil the NEW MOM? You deserve it!
- You are off to such a sweet start as a mom. Happy First Mother’s Day!
- Can just imagine how meaningful today is with a new little one in your life. Enjoy!
- You’ve got crayon-drawn Mother’s Day cards in your future, along with big hugs from your lucky little one!
- That sweet baby isn’t the only one who should be pampered—today’s all for you!
- Bet you’ve never felt so tired or so blessed in your life. Welcome to motherhood. You’re already rocking it.
- Ver lo cariñosa y buena que eres como mamá es simplemente maravilloso. ¡Feliz Primer Día de las Madres!
Helpful tip: Excitement and encouragement are great qualities in a mom-to-be or 1st Mother’s Day message. Share in her anticipation, or tell her she’s going to be a great mom. Or both!
It’s hard when you can’t be together to celebrate all your favorite moms on Mother’s Day. But you can use your written message to honor and appreciate them, whether they’re across the globe or just across town.
- Sending love and hugs across the miles to the best mom ever.
- Thinking of all our fun Mother’s Day traditions and wishing I could be there to celebrate with you today.
- I miss being with you on Mother’s Day, but I’m holding you close in my heart and hoping it’s a happy one for you.
- Happy Mother’s Day! Wish I could be right there next to you talking and laughing the day away.
- Happy Mother’s Day from afar to a phenomenal mom. Miss you!
- Lifting a mimosa in your honor on Mother’s Day. Cheers from across the miles!
- Even though we won’t get to celebrate Mother’s Day together, it’s a good feeling knowing we’re still connected in a way that’s bigger than any distance.
- Planted some pansies today in your honor. Happy Mother’s Day to someone I love and miss so much!
- Near or far, I’m always so grateful for the wonderful mom you are.
- Wishing we were there to remind you in person how much we love you, Mom.
- Have a great Mother’s Day. Can’t wait ’til the next time I get to see you!
- Aunque estamos lejos, siempre te tengo cerca, porque una mamá como tú se lleva siempre en el corazón. ¡Feliz Día de las Madres!
Helpful Tip: If the fact that you can’t be together on Mother’s Day is a sore subject, it’s not necessary to bring it up at all. Just focus on infusing as much love and gratitude as you can into your message. Whatever your situation, a follow-up phone call, FaceTime, or Zoom get-together is a great idea, too.
Lots of us have less-than-perfect relationships, either with our own moms or with other moms we want to recognize with a Mother’s Day card. In those cases, a card with a short, straightforward sentiment is often the best option. You can use your handwritten message to add a little warmth without going over the top or overstating how you feel.
- I hope you get to spend today doing all the things that make you happiest.
- Thinking of you on Mother’s Day and hoping you have a great day.
- Especially on Mother’s Day, honoring you for what you mean to our family.
- Mother’s Day felt like a perfect chance to remind you that you hold an important place in my life.
- Mom, we may not agree about everything but, no matter what, we’re family, and we care about each other. That means a lot to me, and so do you.
- I know we’ve had our ups and downs, but through it all we’ve shared a bond that still runs deep. I’m glad we’ve got that.
- You’ve been the best mom you could be in spite of some pretty tough circumstances. I see that more clearly now—and I thank you, Mom.
- On Mother’s Day, I’m thinking of my very favorite times with you.
- Hoping you spend Mother’s Day feeling celebrated and appreciated.
- Time keeps changing our relationship in surprising ways. My wish on Mother’s Day is that the next year would keep bringing us even closer together.
- Mamá, hoy más que nunca, me doy cuenta que aprendí a ser una buena persona por ti. Gracias por todos tus sacrificios y enseñanzas.
Helpful Tip: When nothing feels quite right, a simple wish for a good day is usually a safe choice, even in a strained relationship. And those few words from you can help open the door to a better, closer relationship in the future.
A warm closing before your signature is like the bow on top! Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Love, always and forever,
- Much love to you,
- All my/our love,
- Love you,
- Love and cuddles,
- Hugs and kisses,
- With much love and admiration,
- Wishing you happiness,
- Warmest wishes,
- With heartfelt thanks,
- God bless,
- Con Mucho Cariño,
Looking for ways to support someone having a tough time on Mother’s Day? From moms who’ve lost children and children who’ve lost mothers to those struggling with infertility or tough family situations, check out our article on ways we can offer support and kindness on Mother’s Day.
If you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, then you know it’s all about sharing love, luck and fun. And what could be more f...
One of the most important tools parents have to shape their kids’ behavior is the power of positive feedback. But as ...
Christmas A Christmas tribute: meaningful ways to weave memories of lost loved ones into new holiday traditions
For many of us, Christmas is the time of year when we miss our lost loved ones the most. Finding ways to memoriali...
Many of us in the United States have celebrated Thanksgiving through the years without knowing its origins, perhaps h...