Hooray for all the moms in our lives! Hooray for the mothers, grandmothers, godmothers, stepmothers, mothers-in-law, foster moms, bonus moms, other-mothers, aunts, wives, partners, sisters, friends, fellow moms, mentors and women who love with a mother’s heart.
Chances are, you know at least a few moms who deserve a shout-out on Mother’s Day. If you’d like some creative ideas for what to write in their Mother’s Day cards you’ve come to the right place.
This Mother’s Day guide offers signing tips and message starting points from Hallmark writers. You can read the whole guide or jump straight to the specific ideas that suit your style and your unique mom recipient. Whichever way you go, we hope our ideas help you honor and celebrate the amazing mothers in your life!
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @Hallmark.
Find tips for crafting your own special Mother’s Day message and get some real life examples and watch-outs from Hallmark senior Writer Cat Hollyer in the video below or skip straight to Mother’s Day message ideas using the links above.
In life, there are times when you need your very own mom, and no one else will do. Similarly, there are certain special Mother’s Day messages you can only write to her.
From just you
- “You’re my one and only mom, and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for you.”
- “I’m so proud to be your kid.”
- “Right from the start, you were the one who nurtured me, prayed over me, worried about me, guided me and supported me in every pursuit. Thank you for being there every day with just the love I needed.”
- “Now that I’m grown, I realize I don’t just feel gratitude for you—but admiration. I’d want to pattern my life after yours even if you weren’t my mother.”
- “Raising me took a lot of patience. Thanks for hanging in there with me.”
- “To Mom, with love, from your favorite child.☺”
- “Mom, I was lucky enough to inherit your eyes and your sense of humor. I keep hoping I’ll get your lie-detector capabilities, too!”
- “With love from the luckiest [son/daughter/child/kid] in the world.”
- “Sorry if I drove you crazy sometimes. I only did it because I love you!”
- “To my mom, my friend, my angel.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day, Mama. Every day, I thank heaven you’re mine.”
- “Mama, you sacrificed so I could rise. I want you to know I see that.”
- “Mama, you often stood between me and the unfair stuff. Thank you for protecting my spirit.”
- “Mamá, eres muy especial en mi vida, y por eso este Día de las Madres te deseo mucho amor y felicidad.”
From you and your sibling(s), spouse, partner or family
- “For all you do and all you are, we love you…”
- “As a mom, as a mother-in-law, as a grandma—you’re the best, and we feel so blessed to have you!”
- “Thanks for putting up with us! We love you so very, very much.”
- “Thanks for making home the happiest place to be.”
- “We’re thinking of you with lots of love today! Hope you can feel it.”
- “Mom, you’re the glue that holds us together.”
- “Mama, your love speaks to each of us in just the way we need.”
- “Gracias por tanto esfuerzo y dedicación. Te queremos con todo el corazón.”
Helpful tip: If your relationship with your mother is complicated, don’t feel obligated to make your message more complimentary or effusive than you feel. Instead, be warm and sincere in your card message. Focus on what’s positive and true between you. Tell her you’re thinking of her. Or simply wish her a beautiful day.
Whether she goes by Grandma, Nana, Granny, Abuela or another name, your grandmother is definitely someone to honor and celebrate on Mother’s Day!
From just you
- “You’ll always have your own special place in my heart, Nana.”
- “Thanks for spoiling me rotten!”
- “Love is a family tradition for us…I’ve always known that, as long as I’ve been on this planet. Abuela, you’re a big part of those loving memories and the reason I feel so lucky to be born into this family.”
- “God knew what he was doing when he made you a grandma—He knew you’d be the best one ever.”
- “I hope you know how much I admire the woman you are.”
- “You’ve taught me so much without saying a word.”
- “I could sure use a grandma hug right now.”
- “Thanks for all the cookies and love. And cookies. Did I mention cookies?”
- “Grandma, your love has shaped me in lasting ways.”
- “So blessed by you, Gamma. You went above and beyond to help raise me, and it’s given us a special connection that I cherish.”
- “Eres una mujer llena de virtudes. Tenerte como abuela es una gran bendición.”
From you and your sibling(s), spouse, partner or family
- “You are the heart and soul of our family. Love you, Grammy!”
- “For all you’ve gone through, all you are and all the love you share, we love you, Grandmother.”
- “You are the cornerstone of our family.”
- “You’re the best listener, the best cook, the best friend, the best grandma I could ever ask for.”
- “On Mother’s Day, we hope you feel honored for all your years of caring for your children and grandchildren. And every day, we hope you feel how loved you are.”
- “You don’t just give love, you are love. And we love you so much, too.”
- “Grandmother, your strength is the foundation we all stand on.”
- “Abuela, you are the keeper of our stories, the sharer of our memories, the center of our family. We love you so much.”
- “Abuela, hoy te celebramos y reconocemos el gran valor que le das a nuestra familia.”
Helpful tip: If the card you choose for your grandmother says “Grandma,” but you call her Nonna Becky or K-K, use your written message to personalize it, addressing her by the familiar title or name you always use for her.
If you’re very lucky, you have an auntie, godmother or other caring woman close to you who has been a unique mix of friend, family, mentor and/or bonus mom to you through the years. Here are some things you might say to her on Mother’s Day…
- “Auntie, there’s simply no one else like you. I feel so blessed that we’re family…and that we’re friends.”
- “You’ve been like a mom to me—someone I can tell anything and ask anything. Thank you for being such an important person in my life.”
- “With love to an amazing human…from someone who hopes to be half as amazing as you someday.”
- “Just wanted to recognize you on Mother’s Day for being such a caring and positive influence in my life. I’m forever grateful, and I look up to you more than you know.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to an amazing woman I’ll always admire, appreciate and love!”
- “We hope it doesn’t come as a surprise that we’re thinking of you today. After all, you’ve loved us just like a mom.”
- “God knew I needed you in my life, and I’m so glad to have you as my ‘bonus Mom.’ I love you very much.”
- “Every time my heart said ‘I need a/my mom,’ you were there.”
- “Tu presencia en mi vida es un regalo de amor. Gracias por el cariño, el apoyo y tu sabiduría.”
Helpful tip: Mother’s Day is truly for all women who love with a mother’s heart. Giving birth is not required. Don’t hesitate to send a card and write a warm message to any woman who has been a strong and caring influence in your life.
What does a mom want to hear from her spouse on Mother’s Day? It’s no big mystery. She wants to hear that her partner sees all she does and appreciates her for it. A card is the perfect place to say it. And if there’s a “you’re a goddess/saint/miracle-worker” comment or a spa gift certificate to go along with it, then so much the better!
- “You’re more beautiful than ever to me.”
- “I love our family, and I love you.”
- “Creativity, laughter, devotion…there’s so much to admire in the way you do motherhood day in and day out.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day with all my thanks and love,”
- “Thank you for all the ways you go above and beyond every day for our family. The kids and I are so lucky to have you.”
- “I’m so grateful to be sharing life, love and parenthood with someone as creative and fun as you.”
- “From the moment we met, you’ve had my heart. And seeing you as a mom only makes me love you more.”
- “Because of you, our family and our sweet home are built around generous, selfless love. Thank you for making us all so blessed—especially me.”
- For the wife who is a stepmom to her spouse’s child: “Thank you for being such a wonderful mother to my daughter. It means so much to see the way you care for her…and the way she loves you, too.”
- “You hold us down, lift us up and keep us together—all with the force of your love.”
- “You’re a boss mama and a beautiful woman, too. I love everything about you.”
- “Formar un hogar y tener una familia contigo es lo mejor que me ha pasado en la vida. Te amo, Mi Amor.”
Helpful tip: Romantic or suggestive messages don’t tend to go over as well on Mother’s Day. Save those for your anniversary, Valentine’s Day or a just-because love card.
Messages for sisters and friends tend to be similar because they’re both peer relationships. You’re probably close in age and life stage. You might even share a special bond because you’re both experiencing parenthood at the same time.
- “Celebrating the amazing mom you are to your own kids and the wonderful aunt you are to mine!”
- “I always knew you’d be a great mom someday.”
- “So glad our kids are cousins!”
- “Wishing you a sweet, quiet, gross-out-free Mother’s Day!”
- “So glad we’re moms—it’s one more sweet thing to share.”
- “I can tell from how your kids act that they feel secure, well-grounded and totally loved. Of course they do. They have the best mom ever!”
- “You’re my good friend, and you’re a mom I admire so much.”
- “We started as mom-friends, but now we’re just plain friends. I’m so glad we are. Happy Mother’s Day!”
- “Mother’s Day, margarita, mojito and merlot all start with ‘m.’ Coincidence? Surely not.”
- “I don’t know how you do it. But I can easily see that you are doing a wonderful job of being a mom.”
- “You are a blessing to your family…and to me.”
- “I’m so grateful to have a friend and fellow mom like you in my life. Thank you for helping me deal with all the ups and downs of motherhood!”
- “I believe in my heart that someday we’ll once again pee alone.”
- “You’ve got me. I’ve got you. And we’ve both got Jesus to help us raise these kids!”
- “Hermana, eres una mujer que ama a su familia sin condición, y por eso te admiro mucho.”
Helpful tip: Whether she’s a rookie or a veteran, a mom can always use a little encouragement. Mother’s Day is the perfect occasion for a reminder that she is doing a great job with her kids.
There’s something so heartwarming about seeing your daughter or granddaughter become a mother in her own right. On Mother’s Day, celebrate her for giving you those grandbabies (or great-grandbabies) you’ve waited so patiently for!
- “I’m so proud of you I can’t even express it. I would have been happy watching you pursue any dream you chose, but it makes me so happy that one of your dreams was to be a mother. Your children are a beautiful reflection of your loving heart.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to our beautiful daughter. Thanks for being such a devoted mother to a few of our favorite grandchildren!”
- “Now that you’re a mom, hope you know a little of the joy I knew when I had you.”
- “With love for being such a great daughter…and making me such a happy grandmother!”
- “Motherhood is such a perfect expression of the gentle, caring person you are. It really warms our hearts to see you with your little boy.”
- “You’ve always been so loving. To see your love unfold around your family every day makes me so proud.”
- “Hija, eres una madre ejemplar, y por eso hoy te mereces un día rodeada de mucho amor y lleno de cosas lindas.”
- “The world is changing so much…in so many exciting ways. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the love moms give. You’re carrying on the mom tradition beautifully, in your own loving way. I’m so proud of you.”
- “I am so lucky to have you for my granddaughter. And your daughter is even luckier to have you for her mother.”
- “Thinking of you and that sweet grandbaby of mine today!”
- “So proud of the wonderful job you’re doing as a mom.”
- “Seems like just yesterday you were a little girl yourself. Love seeing you as a mom!”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to a granddaughter who just keeps on bringing joy to her family.”
- “Gracias por llenar nuestra familia de ternura y esperanza. Eres una maravillosa nieta y mamá.”
Helpful tip: Pride is a strong theme for daughters and granddaughters who are mothers. Let her know that motherhood is one of the many reasons you’re proud of her.
For a mom-to-be or first-time mom, her experience of Mother’s Day is unique. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime occasion for her, and that definitely calls for a special mention in your message.
- “Happy Mother-to-Be Day! You’re going to make such a good mom!”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to our favorite mom-to-be with lots of love and anticipation!”
- “You’re joining the mom club! Hope this Mother’s Day will be the first of many special ones for you.”
- “Hoy también celebramos a las futuras mamás, así que disfruta de un día lleno de felicidad.”
- “Everyone jokes about spoiling the baby. When can I come over and help spoil the NEW MOM? YOU DESERVE IT!”
- “You are off to such a sweet start as a mom. Happy 1st Mother’s Day!”
- “I remember the lunch when you first told me you were going to be a mom. I was so happy for you then, and I still am, because I see how much you love it and how amazing you are at it.”
- “Can just imagine how meaningful today is with a new little one in your life. Enjoy!”
- “You’ve got crayon-drawn Mother’s Day cards in your future, along with big hugs from your lucky little one!”
- “That sweet baby isn’t the only one who should be pampered—today’s all for you!”
- “Bet you’ve never felt so tired or so blessed in your life. Welcome to motherhood. You’re already rocking it.”
- “Ver lo cariñosa y buena que eres como mamá es simplemente maravilloso. ¡Feliz Primer Día de las Madres!”
Helpful tip: Excitement and encouragement are great qualities in a mom-to-be or 1st Mother’s Day message. Share in her anticipation, or tell her she’s going to be a great mom. Or both!
It’s hard when you can’t be together to celebrate all your favorite moms on Mother’s Day. But you can use your written message to honor and appreciate them, whether they’re across the globe or just across town.
- “Sending love and hugs across the miles to the best Mom ever.”
- “Thinking of all our fun Mother’s Day traditions and wishing I could be there to celebrate with you today.”
- “I miss being with you on Mother’s Day, but I’m holding you close in my heart and hoping it’s a happy one for you.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day! Wish I could be right there next to you talking and laughing the day away.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day from afar to a phenomenal mom. Miss you!”
- “Lifting a mimosa in your honor on Mother’s Day. Cheers from across the miles!”
- “Even though we won’t get to celebrate Mother’s Day together, it’s a good feeling knowing we’re still connected in a way that’s bigger than any distance.”
- “Near or far, I’m always so grateful for the wonderful mom you are.”
- “Wishing we were there to remind you in person how much we love you, Mom.”
- “Have a great Mother’s Day. Can’t wait till the next time I get to see you!”
- Aunque estamos lejos, siempre te tengo cerca, porque una mamá como tú se lleva siempre en el corazón. ¡Feliz Día de las Madres!
Helpful Tip: If the fact that you can’t be together on Mother’s Day is a sore subject, it’s not necessary to bring it up at all. Just focus on infusing as much love and gratitude as you can into your message. Whatever your situation, a follow-up phone call, FaceTime, or Zoom get-together is a great idea, too.
Lots of us have less-than-perfect relationships, either with our own moms or with other moms we want to recognize with a Mother’s Day card. In those cases, a card with a short, straightforward sentiment is often the best option. You can use your handwritten message to add a little warmth without going over the top or overstating how you feel.
- Enjoy your day: “I hope you get to spend today doing all the things that make you happiest.”
- Thinking of you: “Thinking of you on Mother’s Day and hoping you have a great day.”
- Honoring you: “Especially on Mother’s Day, honoring you for what you mean to our family.”
- You matter to me: “Mother’s Day felt like a perfect chance to remind you that you hold an important place in my life.”
- Glad we’re family: “Mom, we may not agree about everything but, no matter what, we’re family, and we care about each other. That means a lot and so do you.”
- Connected no matter what: “I know we’ve had our ups and downs, but through it all we’ve shared a bond that still runs deep. I’m glad we’ve got that and glad I’ve got you.”
- You did your best: “You’ve been the best mom you could be in spite of some pretty tough circumstances. I see that more clearly now—and I thank you, Mom.”
- Focus on good memories: “On Mother’s Day, I’m thinking of my very favorite times with you.”
- Feel good today: “Hoping you spend Mother’s Day feeling celebrated and appreciated.”
- We’re a work in progress: “Time keeps changing our relationship in surprising ways. My wish on Mother’s Day is that the next year would keep bringing us even closer together.”
- Sobre su rol, sus sacrificios y lecciones: Mamá, hoy más que nunca, me doy cuenta que aprendí a ser una buena persona por ti. Gracias por todos tus sacrificios y enseñanzas.
Helpful Tip: When nothing feels quite right, a simple wish for a good day is usually a safe choice, even in a strained relationship. And those few words from you can help open the door to a better, closer relationship in the future.
A warm closing before your signature is like the bow on top! Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Love, always and forever,
- Much love to you,
- All my/our love,
- Love you,
- Love and cuddles,
- Hugs and kisses,
- With much love and admiration,
- Wishing you happiness,
- Warmest wishes,
- With heartfelt thanks,
- God bless,
- Con Mucho Cariño,
Looking for ways to support a someone having a tough time on Mother’s Day? From moms who’ve lost children and children who’ve lost mothers to those struggling with infertility or tough family situations, check out our article on ways we can offer support and kindness on Mother’s Day.
For many of us, “father” is synonymous with love, guidance and support. That love does not dissipate after our fat...