How is something so prickly so adorable? Hedgehogs are some of the cutest, rolly-polliest animal babies—and the sweetest cupcakes—we’ve seen. The adorable hedgehog cupcakes begin with a basic cupcake base that can be homemade or store-bought. The hedgehog body is a mix of simple chocolate frosting that is piped on top combined with a sprinkling of coarse crystal sugar. The effect is delightful and safe to eat since it remains quill free! Finish off the face with marshmallow fondant with some well-placed candies for the details.
Inspired? Create and share with #MyHallmark.
Step by Step Video
Watch the baby hedgehog cupcake come together in this step by step tutorial video.
- Make the cupcakes and let them cool completely. (We used boxed cake mix to create the base for our hedgehogs, but any cupcakes without icing will work.)
- Frost with chocolate. (We used a pastry bag with a star tip.)
- Sprinkle with white coarse crystal sugar.
- Cut a heart shape from the fondant using a small cookie cutter.
- Create eyes with dots of gel frosting.
- Attach the face to the cupcake, using a small amount of icing if necessary.
- Add confetti hearts for ears.
- Attach a chocolate chip nose with a tiny bit of frosting.