DIY dinosaur valentine box
A box of love notes shaped like a little stegosaurus? Um, ADORABLE. And yes, ours is in the classic Valentine’s Day shades of pink and red, but you could totally personalize it in your child’s favorite colors.
Or, if they’re a purist when it comes to thunder lizards, you could look for some specialty paper, like scrapbooking paper in a reptilian pattern.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
Can you make this valentine box with kids? Of course! But if you don’t have kids, and you have a super-cool workplace that does things like have team Valentine’s Day parties, you could always make this for yourself.
What you’ll need:
- Medium-size box—tissue boxes or small shipping boxes
- Paperboard—cereal boxes or rigid cardboard
- Single-face corrugated cardboard
- Scratch paper
- Craft knife
- Cutting mat
- Colorful paint, wrapping paper or tissue paper
- Card stock or construction paper in different colors
- Glue stick
- Masking tape
- Hot glue gun
How to make your DIY Dinosaur Valentine Box
- Get the free printable. Download and print the DIY Dinosaur Valentine Box template.
- Sketch the head, tail and plates on scratch paper, then trace onto paperboard. Cut them out with a craft knife. Cut long strips from the corrugated cardboard to form the sides of the head and tail.
- Build the head and tail. Tape the two sides of the dinosaur’s head to the strip of corrugated cardboard as outlined in the downloadable. Repeat for the tail.
- Make a mail slot. If you used a tissue box, you already have a mail slot! If not, cut one out (carefully) with a craft knife.
- Add color. Paint the head, tail, body and feet. Or cover them with tissue or wrapping paper. Paint or cover the back plates in a contrasting color.
- Add a face. Make eyes by cutting out two white paper circles and two smaller paper circles in a different color. Glue them on, and draw or paint on nostrils and a mouth on each side of the head.
- Decorate the body. Have fun with your dino buddy! Give him or her scales, stripes, spots or other decorations. (May we suggest hearts?) Paint toes on the feet.
- Put it together. Use hot glue to attach the feet to the body. Then add the head and tail. Finally, add the back plates, starting from the tail and working your way up to the head.
Ready to roar!
Tip: Start with a box big enough to hold lots of valentines and go from there. Our dino is built around a basic cardboard box.
Check out all of our fun DIY valentine box ideas here. Want even more ideas? You know we have ’em:
- 32 Sweet Valentine’s Day Ideas for Family Fun at Home
- Free Printable Valentine’s Day Coloring Pages You’ll Love
- 15+ Valentine’s Day Care Packages for Everyone You Know
- Valentine’s Day Party Ideas: Setup, Sips, Snacks and More
Shop Valentine's DaySee all
You may also likeSee more
Anniversary 85+ anniversary gift ideas to celebrate the day you said “I do”
Look, here’s the situation—my wife and I have been together more than 20 years, which means there have definitely bee...
Recipes Say hello to summer with this pretty rosemary paloma cocktail
If summer had a single defining flavor, it would have to be citrus. From lemonade to key lime pie, that mouth-waterin...
Gifting All aboard for celebrating Disney’s 100th anniversary!
Keepsake Artist Gregor Benedetti reveals the Disney 100th Anniversary Special Edition Figurine, complete with lights ...
Anniversary Anniversary gifts by year
There are a lot of anniversary gift lists out there. Most hit the major milestones with traditional and modern the...
Arts, Crafts & DIY How to make a DIY money lei for graduations, weddings, birthdays and more
In Hawaii, people give leis to celebrate lots of different occasions. A money lei is a great way to celebrate a gr...
Birthday Summer birthday party ideas for everyone
Summer is a great time for outdoor get-togethers. You’re getting fresh air, seeing friends and family, and getting so...
Summer What is Disability Pride Month?: Understanding its importance and finding ways to celebrate
The Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted July 26, 1990 and was the first law in U.S. history to protect people...
LGBTQ Pride party ideas and everyday celebration inspiration for the LGBTQ community
We all know that Pride Month is a wonderful time to celebrate and commemorate the LGBTQ community, but it’s certainly...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 2: Fueling Fandom
This month in our historical 50th Anniversary series, we take a look back at our earliest fan favorites. Keepsake Orn...
Calendar Flip A (Very) Warm Hello! August 2023 Holidays and Observances
Is it hot enough for you? Well, we’re here to add some extra sizzle. It’s time to flip the calendar page, check ou...
Calendar Flip Welcome Autumn! September 2023 Holidays and Observances
Fall brings cooler nights, cute sweaters, homecoming games and tailgate parties. It’s time to flip the calendar page,...
Calendar Flip Let’s celebrate, y’all! July 2023 Holidays and Celebrations
Get ready for friends, family and fireworks—and break out the red, white and blue for Independence Day. It’s time ...
Card Ideas Card messages for kids: What to write in a kid’s holiday card and more
My 3-year-old was having a hard time at preschool drop-off. Dragging his feet. Asking to stay home. This went on a fe...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 1: Start Dreaming!
2023 marks 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments. We are so excited to celebrate ALL year with ALL of you! Each month, you’l...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Gifting 25+ “just because” gift ideas to show you care
I love giving gifts, and it’s easy to do it on birthdays and holidays. But when I really want to flex my gift-giving ...
Gift Wrapping How to use fabric wrap: A step-by-step guide for our reusable wrap
Don't you just love reusing gift bags? Well, now Hallmark has reusable gift wrap, too! Using it to wrap your gifts is...
Gift Wrapping 3 creative ways to reuse gift wrap scraps
Picture this: You’ve just finished wrapping a gift, you’re admiring your hard (but fabulous) work, and suddenly reali...
Arts, Crafts & DIY 8 tips on how to take great photos with your iPhone
Photos have been a huge part of capturing memories ever since cameras were invented. And these days, with advanced ca...
Recipes Cool drink recipes for your summer Golden Girls watch parties
We don’t know about you, but we love a good Golden Girls marathon. Maybe it’s the furniture covered in palm fronds. O...