DIY roller skate valentine box
Have you noticed that there’s a big roller skate revival happening? It’s kind of amazing.
If your kid needs a valentine box for a classroom party and is into this pattern, thank your lucky stars and channel your inner child because things are about to get truly, truly outrageous.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
What you’ll need:
- Corrugated cardboard or foam core board
- Card stock or paperboard (cereal boxes or rigid cardboard)
- Scratch paper
- Small paper cup
- Ribbon and pom-poms
- Craft knife
- Cutting mat
- Colorful paint, wrapping paper or tissue paper
- Glitter or shiny paper
- Glue stick
- Masking tape
- Hot glue gun
How to make your DIY Roller Skate Valentine Box
- Get the free printable. Download and print the free DIY Roller Skate Valentine Box template.
- Sketch out the skate parts on scratch paper. Then trace onto cardboard and card stock as shown in the free download. Trace the cup onto the cardboard for the wheels.
- Cut everything out with a craft knife.
- Add color. Cover the parts with tissue or wrapping paper, or paint them.
- Build the skate. Once the pieces are dry, use hot glue and masking tape to attach the bottom and back of the skate to the body. Tape in the tongue and hot glue the toe, but don’t add the wheels yet. The top of the skate will be the mail slot.
- Decorate the skate. Get colorful by adding stripes, circles, hearts, rainbows or do your own thing. Be sure to decorate both sides.
- Make the wheels and stopper. Trace the cup on glitter paper to make shimmery circles to cover your wheels. Add smaller circles to finish them. Then give the cup some shimmer by painting it or adding glitter.
- Lace them up. Glue or punch holes in the toe and lay the ribbon across it, then crisscross it and glue up the sides or punch holes and lace it up, just like you would shoelaces. Add pom-poms at the top for extra glam.
- Finish it off. Hot glue the wheels to the sides and glue the stopper just under the toe.
Tip: A regular box won’t work here, so don’t be afraid to build your own box. Rigid cardboard and paperboard (like cereal boxes) are perfect for flat surfaces. To go around curves, try single-face cardboard—it’s available in rolls on Amazon.
Check out all of our fun DIY valentine box ideas here. Want even more ideas? You know we have ’em:
Shop Valentine's DaySee all
You may also likeSee more
Birthday Summer birthday party ideas for everyone
Summer is a great time for outdoor get-togethers. You’re getting fresh air, seeing friends and family, and getting so...
Summer What is Disability Pride Month?: Understanding its importance and finding ways to celebrate
The Americans with Disabilities Act was enacted July 26, 1990 and was the first law in U.S. history to protect people...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 2: Fueling Fandom
This month in our historical 50th Anniversary series, we take a look back at our earliest fan favorites. Keepsake Orn...
Calendar Flip A (Very) Warm Hello! August 2023 Holidays and Observances
Is it hot enough for you? Well, we’re here to add some extra sizzle. It’s time to flip the calendar page, check ou...
Calendar Flip Welcome Autumn! September 2023 Holidays and Observances
Fall brings cooler nights, cute sweaters, homecoming games and tailgate parties. It’s time to flip the calendar page,...
Calendar Flip Let’s celebrate, y’all! July 2023 Holidays and Celebrations
Get ready for friends, family and fireworks—and break out the red, white and blue for Independence Day. It’s time ...
Card Ideas Card messages for kids: What to write in a kid’s holiday card and more
My 3-year-old was having a hard time at preschool drop-off. Dragging his feet. Asking to stay home. This went on a fe...
Christmas Celebrating 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments, Episode 1: Start Dreaming!
2023 marks 50 years of Keepsake Ornaments. We are so excited to celebrate ALL year with ALL of you! Each month, you’l...
Birthday What to write in a birthday card
Some people have no problem coming up with what to write in a birthday card. Just hand them a pen and they’ll effortl...
Gifting 25+ “just because” gift ideas to show you care
I love giving gifts, and it’s easy to do it on birthdays and holidays. But when I really want to flex my gift-giving ...
Gift Wrapping How to use fabric wrap: A step-by-step guide for our reusable wrap
Don't you just love reusing gift bags? Well, now Hallmark has reusable gift wrap, too! Using it to wrap your gifts is...
Gift Wrapping 3 creative ways to reuse gift wrap scraps
Picture this: You’ve just finished wrapping a gift, you’re admiring your hard (but fabulous) work, and suddenly reali...
Arts, Crafts & DIY 8 tips on how to take great photos with your iPhone
Photos have been a huge part of capturing memories ever since cameras were invented. And these days, with advanced ca...
Recipes Cool drink recipes for your summer Golden Girls watch parties
We don’t know about you, but we love a good Golden Girls marathon. Maybe it’s the furniture covered in palm fronds. O...
Gifting Gift ideas to celebrate parents
How do you say “I love you” to parents that mean so much—the ones who’ve handled plenty of diaper changes (the really...
Gifting 10 creative ways to give cash
Whether it’s for a birthday, graduation, Christmas or just because you love them and think they deserve a special tre...