Nana, Bumpa, Gam, Pop…such short names for people who hold such a big part of your heart! Maybe it’s because they spoiled you a little (okay, a LOT) when you were a kid. Maybe they’re a trusted source of wisdom as you figure out this whole “life” thing. Or maybe it’s because they’re just straight up fun to hang out with—there’s nothing like a grandma who can serve up warm cookies and hot takes.
It doesn’t really matter why you love them so much. What matters is that every now and then, you reach out and let them know it.
Inspired? Create and share by tagging @HallmarkStores.
And just in case you need some help putting your feelings into words, we asked our Hallmark writers to come up with a bunch of ideas for what to write in a grandparent’s card.
You’ll find messages for grandparents’ anniversaries, milestone birthdays and, since you never need a special reason to show love, everyday messages to let them know they’re on your mind. So grab a card and get your pen ready, because you’re about to make Granny or Abuelo’s day a whole lot brighter!
You know we have to start with what to write in a Grandparents Day card, right? After all, it’s a day that’s all about them and what they mean to you. So we’re kicking this list off with some Grandparents Day message ideas that will let them know how much they’re loved all year long.
- Thank you for years of love and support. It means the world to me.
- I’m so lucky to have good friends that I also call grandparents.
- I just want you to know that you’re at the heart of so many of my favorite memories.
- On Grandparents Day, I can’t help but feel so much gratitude for all the love you’ve shown and all the lessons you’ve shared.
- You’re so wonderful. And I’m so lucky.
- You mean so much to me, and I’m so thankful for all the love and guidance.
- Abuela, significas tanto para mí, y te agradrezco por todo tu amor y tus consejos.
- A day to celebrate Grandparents! Bet they got the idea from how you make all the days feel like holidays!
- It’s Grandparents Day! A day for me to spoil YOU for a change.
- Let’s celebrate Grandparents Day by eating way too much ice cream and watching soaps.
- You put the “grand” in “grandparent.” (Mostly because you left the “parent” part to Mom and Dad and spoiled me like crazy.)
- Granny, if I end up being able to shine half the light you do into other people’s lives when I’m grown, I’ll be happy. And I know you’ll be proud.
Remember how special you felt, getting that brightly colored birthday card envelope in the mail from your grandparents each year? Give them that same goodness! Whether it’s their 60th or 96th, they’ll love knowing you remembered and cared enough to send something special. Here are some birthday message ideas for grandparents to help you fill their card with caring and fun.
- Getting older might be inevitable, but the maturity part is optional. Happy Birthday to one of my favorite kids-at-heart!
- This is a big day! Promise you won’t lift a finger, ok, Opa?
- ¡Abuelo, hoy es un gran día! Y te vamos a consentir.
- Happy Birthday to someone who had to put up with my mom/dad for quite a while. Clearly, you deserve to celebrate!
- Happy Birthday to living proof that age is just a number.
- Another year of awesome you—that’s a reason to celebrate!
- Of all the cake-based celebrations, the one that celebrates you is my favorite!
- Mawmaw, I’m telling you…the calendar is wrong on this one, because you haven’t aged a day since I graduated high school.
Okay, you know we couldn’t leave out ideas for what to write in a Christmas card for grandparents. They’re part of what makes the holidays so special, and telling them how much they mean at the holidays can be the best gift ever. Here are some ways for you to share more merry with them this year in a Christmas card.
- Grandma, so many of my favorite Christmas memories are of us chatting and laughing over the dining room table. Can’t wait to do that again!
- Every day with you feels like Christmas, Pa-paw.
- Happy Holidays to Santa’s biggest competition!
- I can’t think of the holidays without thinking of you!
- You’re my favorite part of Christmas.
- Abuelita, eres mi parte favorita de la Navidad.
- Mawmaw, you always give the best Christmas presents!
- Just saying, it’s not officially Christmas until I get a bear hug from Grandpa and a ginger snap from Grandma.
- Being at your house for Christmas is like a hug for my soul, Meemaw.
Like we said, you don’t need a special reason to let Pawpaw know he’s loved or tell Nonna that she’s the best. In fact, one of the best ways to surprise your grandparents is by telling them out of the blue how much they mean to you. Here are some “thinking of you” messages for grandparents to do just that.
- Hey, GamGam! Just wanted to say hi and remind you that you’re loved.
- I thought I’d send you a card for no reason at all—except maybe to lock down my spot as your favorite grandkid.
- I sure miss your face. And your hugs. And your conversation.
- Been a while—let’s catch up in person sometime!
- I often stop and wonder what’s up with you. So…what’s up with you? Good things, I hope!
- Was tying my tie the other day and it made me think of you…don’t know what I’d do without all the stuff you taught me, Grandad!
- Just a note to say I love you and miss you—let’s spend time together soon!
- Solo quería decirte que te quiero y te extraño. ¡Hay que vernos pronto!
- I can’t think of you without missing you a little bit, but smiling at memories and looking forward to new ones is a much bigger bit.
When you were little, they seemed like they’d been together forever. Now that you’re older, you understand how meaningful it is that they’re still together. Celebrate that love and devotion with a special anniversary message for your grandparents.
- Congratulations on a lifetime of love! You two set the example for what makes a great marriage.
- Cheers to/Here’s to one of the coolest couples I’ve ever known! The fact that we’re related is just an awesome bonus.
- You two fit so well together, and I feel really lucky to have your example and your love.
- Happy Anniversary to the inspiration for the Hallmark Channel.
- I’ve seen the pictures from when you were a young couple. You’re still as crazy-in-love looking now as you were then. Love that about you two.
- When I see you two together, I’m reminded what a loving partnership is meant to look like.
- Abuelos, verlos juntos me recuerda cómo debe ser una relación de pareja.
- Happy Anniversary to a couple I literally wouldn’t be here without!
- Baba and Gigi, you two are #couplegoals. (It’s a good thing, trust me.)
- If you’re wondering why I’m not married yet, it’s because I’m waiting until I meet someone who looks at me the way you two look at each other.
While we know it’s sad to think about, letting Gramma or Daddo know you’re thinking of them on their anniversary after the passing of their spouse can be such a heartwarming gesture. Here are some ideas to help you reach out.
- Missing him right along with you and wishing you comfort in all your many years of memories together.
- Today is still about celebrating your love. I wanted to let you know I’m thinking about you both.
- I often think about you two, holding hands or laughing together. Bubbe might be gone, but the love you shared is still here, and still worth celebrating today.
- I’m so very thankful to have had your marriage as an example of what love looks like. Holding you in my heart today.
Sending a card to help new parents celebrate their little one? Well, new grandparents are worth fussing over, too, especially if they’ve been waiting for what feels like forever to snuggle and spoil that sweet baby! Tell them how great at it they’ll be with one of these messages for new grandparents.
- That grandbaby could not have asked for a better grandparent! And even when that baby can talk…probably still won’t ask for that! 🙂
- I can’t think of a better grandparent (or a luckier kid)!
- Congrats on being the best grandparent in the world! That’s how much Baby’s gonna love you.
- You were born for this. (So was Baby.)
- You’ve got this, just like you’ve done every other caring thing in your life. Beautifully.
- You’re a grandparent! Have you picked your new name yet, Grammy, Gramps Mawmaw, Nana, Mimi, Pops, Papa?
- Love this look on you, grandma/grandpa.
- This baby’s going to be SO. SPOILED.
- Snuggle time! Congrats, grandparent!
- Your phone shall now be filled with nothing but baby pics.
- You’re going to be the grandest grandparents ever.
- Van a ser los mejores abuelos del mundo.
Feeling lovey dovey on Valentine’s Day? Share it with everyone who could use a little sweetness. Whether it’s appreciation for their love as grandparents or admiration for their love for each other, they’ll be touched by the fact that you chose to reach out. These sweet messages for grandparents go great in any valentine.
- Your love for each other is a shining example of what a great relationship should be.
- Sending big love to one of the biggest-hearted humans ever!
- Sending you all of my love! (And some of my candy.)
- So many of my favorite family stories start with you/the two of you.
- Happy Valentine’s Day to someone who really warms my heart.
- Feliz Día de San Valentín a alguien que alegra mi corazón.
- Grandma, your love has been with me from day one—so I just had to send you some love on Valentine’s Day.
Grandparents often do so much for us—teach us the ways of the world, help us out with expenses, spend time with us, even raise us. After all that, you might start to feel like you’re running out of ways to say thank you. But don’t worry—we’ve got some new thank-you message ideas for grandparents right here.
- You really shouldn’t have! But I should’ve known you would. You’re so generous like that.
- Papa, even if the words “thank you” were enough, I’d still want to write them a hundred feet tall. That’s how much you mean to me.
- So nice of you! But that’s just you. You’re so nice.
- I might be too big to ride on your shoulders anymore, but I’ll never be too big to give you thank-you hugs.
- I really appreciate everything that you do for me.
- Abue, realmente aprecio todo lo que haces por mí.
- Thank you so much for your thoughtful and generous gift. You are seriously the best.
- Gran, you taught me to make sure I say thank you anyone who goes out of their way for me. So from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
They’ve been working toward their retirement for decades and now they’re finally done! Help your grandparents celebrate clocking out for the last time with a card that tells them how excited or proud you are. Include one of these congratulations messages for grandparents in a sweet card!
- You must be so proud of all you’ve accomplished. I know I am.
- Abuelito, debes estar muy orgulloso de todo lo que has logrado. Sé que yo lo estoy.
- Just think of all the lives you’ve impacted for the better. Congratulations on a job well done!
- Time to reap the rewards of a job well done. Congrats!
- Congratulations! I’ve lined up lots and lots of stuff for us to do! Hint: It’s mostly related to zoos and ice cream.
- Other than being the best grandparent ever, this is probably the second greatest thing you’ve accomplished. Congrats on putting a big bow on an amazing career!
- I know how much passion you put into your work, and I hope you know the impact you’ve made. Time to celebrate!
It’s so hard to see our grandparents hurting. But as they get older, and they begin to lose friends, neighbors, siblings—even spouses and children—it feels like they end up hurting an awful lot. With a card and one of these sympathy message ideas for grandparents, you can let them know you’re there whenever they need you.
- Sending you a huge hug to soothe your hurting heart.
- I was so sorry to hear about your [friend] passing. Wishing you strength and peace in the days ahead.
- I know your heart might feel incomplete. Know that I love you and am here for you, always.
- Know that my distance from you does not define my love and care for you in this tough time.
- Those we share our lives with are incredibly special. Their love stays with us forever.
- Even when we know it’s coming, losing a friend is deeply heartbreaking. I’m so very sorry.
- I wish I could be there to hug you in person. For now, my heart’s got you, holding you close.
- The love we remember is the love we keep forever.
- El amor que recordamos es el que perdura para siempre.
- Sorrow is just love expressed in another way.
- Your pain is my pain, too. My heart breaks for you.
When our grandparents are sick or injured, it can make us feel like kids again—a little helpless and not sure what to do. Sending your grandma or grandpa a get-well message can do a lot to make you feel better about their situation and will boost their spirits as they work toward recovery. See if you can imagine one of these get-well messages for grandparents making them smile.
- Taking you out to brunch when you’re better! Cross my heart.
- Hoping recovery is quick and goes as smoothly as anyone could imagine.
- Bub, you’ve always been the toughest person I know. So I know you’re going to be up and around again in no time.
- I miss our face time. Can’t wait to see you once you’re better.
- All I can say is, they better be giving the VIP treatment to a Very Important Grandparent!
- When you get better, we’ll have a marathon [Mahjong, bridge, spades, chess] day to celebrate!
- My heart is filled with beautiful thoughts for you and a speedy recovery.
- Hoping you’re resting and getting stronger every day. We’ve got some catching up ahead of us!
- Espero que estés descansando y mejorando cada día, ¡porque necesitamos recuperar el tiempo perdido!
- I hope you get to feeling better soon. I know you don’t want this weighing you down!
Everyone needs a little encouragement from time to time, including grandparents! Maybe they’ve just moved into assisted living and find themselves missing home. Maybe they recently had to stop driving and are feeling down about losing some of their independence. Or maybe they’re just lonely and need a few heartfelt words to brighten their day. No matter the reason, these encouragement messages for grandparents should help make them smile.
- Wherever you are is home to me. Love you.
- Mi hogar es dondequiera que tú estés. Te quiero mucho.
- You are still you, even if it doesn’t feel like it right now.
- You’ve more than earned all the love. Sending lots of hugs.
- Remembering your warm smile today and hoping you know how much I miss you.
- There’s no one like you. You matter so much to me.
- Some days are just not our days. Hoping tomorrow’s better. I love you.
- Grandma/Granddad, you are what makes home home. Because you’re special like that.
- I see you. I see the pain you’re feeling, and I want you to know I’m going to love you through it.
- Let us hold you up for once. Lean on me. I’m here.
- A big change like this is so hard. One thing that hasn’t changed, though, is how much I love you.
- Home is where Grandma and Grandpa are.
Macrame is the ideal craft: Easy to learn. Uses stuff you have around the house. Deeply satisfying to do. And DIY tas...
As an observance of great sacrifice as well as an opportunity for strengthening the bonds of community, Eid al-Adha i...